Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Shuts Down When Viewing Certain file Folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blandry

blandry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

Running Window XP Home Media Edition

When I open certain file folders on my hard drive, Windows Explorer will give me a message telling me "it has encountered and error and needs to shut down". I have two external hard drives on which I capture and backup video files. Most of the file folders on the drives can be accessed by Windows Explorer with no problem but certain folders shut down immediately upon opening. My hard drives mirror each other (manually, not in a RAID 1 config.) and the problem folder shuts down Windows explorer on both drives.

I tried changing the column view applicable to all folders, such tha only the file name comes up in the Explorer window and that actually helped. Explorer will stay open and I can access many of the video files. However, eventually I'll get a notification and Explorer shuts down.

I searched this forum and based on my findings I ran Malwarebytes and Avast and found nothing. Based on my very limited use of the Internet and lack of any other computing problems I didn't expect to find a virus or spyware. I also ran cleanmgr and cleaned up everything I could including Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin.

Any idea why Windows Explorer is having trouble simply listing the files within certain file folders and not others?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

My guess would be possible bad sectors on the hard drive...the alternative would be to guess some sort of file corruption.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on each of the drives with this situation.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r X: (where X: represents the respective partition/drive) and hit Enter. Spacing must be exactly as shown.

Alternative method of running same command: In Explorer or My Computer, right click on the drive, select Properties, select the tools tab, and click on the Check Now button. Check both of the available options and click Start button.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users