Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragment & Consolidate Free Space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melmitts

melmitts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Can any one recommend a good hard disk defragmentation tool that will consolidate the free space like PCTools/Norton did many, many many years ago?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

Good morning melmitts. Two that I think will do this are Auslogics Disc Defrag, (free) and Diskeeper 10 Pro which is for sale. Keep in mind Windows 7 has a very good defrag built right in.
:huh:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Layback Bear is correct in observing that Windows 7 already has a capable defragmenter.

Also remember that drive optimization with NTFS is more sophisticated than many years ago with the FAT file system. Compaction was important with FAT, as the allocation table is at the start of the drive and has a fixed location and size. Crowding all the files as close as possible to the start and leaving the rest of the drive completely empty was the best way to secure performance.

NTFS locates the MFT (Master File Table) part-way into the drive to enhance performance, and its size is dynamic. There is an area ahead of it that files will not move into (to allow the MFT to expand), so this will often appear to be non-contiguous free space. Also, as the drive fills, the MFT may be expanded into more than one piece (a fragmented MFT). If this happens, the defragmenter will place the files closest to the fragment of the MFT they reference, so head movements will be smaller in accessing those files. This can actually improve performance compared with if those file locations were recorded in the original more remote MFT location, but the drive will look as though it needs defragmenting.

Edited by Platypus, 28 March 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

I use Defraggler, myself. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, Diskeeper 2010 pro does it on auto defrag mode, but if you enable it's fragmentation prevention feature called 'intelliwrite', then it will not consolidate all of the free space, instead it will optimize file distribution to minimize future file fragmentation from file modification. Full free space consolidation is not of much help in real-world usage scenarios since frequently modified files will have no space to expand contiguously.

So, I never bother about free space consolidation, I just let DK do what it feels is best, and that strategy works fine.

#6 melmitts

melmitts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I have Raxco PerfectDisk on my own computers. I have been ask to "clean up" 5-6 computers that were upgraded to Windows 7 instead of a clean install. The individual that was taking care of them did not believe in anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-malware or preventive maintenance. They had Windows XP and ran until the crashed then he reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP. I am considering either "clean up" or a format and fresh install of Windows 7 (The owner wants just a clean up).

Again, thanks for the input...
Mel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users