Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:07 PM

:thumbsup: Hi All. I am running Windows XP with SP2 with Norton Antivirus 05. I am unable to open Norton in Safe Mode, It just will not open no matter what I do. I click it and the computer makes a few sounds then nothing. It works no bother in normal mode/ Clank :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

Not sure why that is clank except that you aren't loading the necessary software to run the program. Try disabling the firewall portion before you boot into Safe Mode and see if that helps. Be sure to re-enable before going back into Normal Mode.

Running an AV program in Safe Mode is helpful if you can't disinfect something in Normal Mode but really isn't essential IMHO. I'll probably take some flack from the HiJack people for saying that but thats ok, I've got thick skin. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. Tryed to do as you said but made no difference, didnt work, uninstalled Norton Security, and re installed it but now Norton comes up with errors all the time, and keeps saying uninstall and re install. Went to restore my computer to another date but it will not let me bring up last moth so I can resore it. It will only let me restore for this month, September 05. have I messed everything up Clank

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

What is the exact version of Norton you have on your computer?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hi
Ihave just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 after having an older version with all th updates. Clank

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

Did you uninstall the previous version first? What was the previous version?

#7 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:28 AM

Hi
As far as I know I did unistall the first Norton Internet Security 2002, and then installed the Norton Internet Security 2005. What a mess Ive made of things now, I uninstalled the 2005 and tried to instal it again, but I carnt find it anywhere. when I put the disc in it tells me to go to Add or remove programs, but its not there and it will not let me go any further with the disc. I still get error notices from my computer telling me that there are files missing from Norton Security and to uninstal it an install it again, but I carnt find it. I have got the following in my add or remove program are they anything to do with it. Norton WMI Update. Live Update 2.6 Symantec Corporation and Liv Reg (Symantec Corporation). Like I say the main Norton Internet Security file has gone, Hope you understand that lot. Clank

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Best to uninstall anything that says either Symantec or Norton and go from there.

Have a look at Uninstalling your Norton program using Add/Remove Programs . There are also instructions on what to do if you cannot uninstall or receive error messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users