Hello and welcome. I am moving us out of Vista to the Am I Infected
forum to try some things.
First can we do this and see if we get the desktop.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow
... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files
NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd
into the Start/Search box,
in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator
You will need your operating system CD handy.
Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Then click File
.. then New Task(Run)
In the box that opens type sfc /scannow
......There is a space between c and /
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.
Please download the Brontok Disinfection Tool
and follow the instructions posted by Sophos.
When done, please download the Brontok Worm Removal Tool
by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.
Disconnect the computer from the Internet and close all other programs.
and follow the prompts.
The tool will begin scanning your machine. Because this worm names it's files randomly, there are a series of cross-checks/verification processes to ensure that the tool does not remove legitimate files. Depending on the size of your drives, this scan may take several minutes. Please be patient during this period & allow it to complete it's task.
Once the scan is complete it will provide a text log of the results. If the log shows any files remaining in the bottom portion under "POST RUN ANALYSIS" run the entire scan a second time.Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(v1.44) and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
- Exit MBAM when done.