Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP freezing screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nir211

Nir211

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

sorry for the lengthy post. I've been at this for a long long time now, and I'd appreciate any help.

After fresh installation of xp sp3, I've installed all the onboard drivers.
When windows loads, everything is ok until the windows-xp splash screen with the "progress bar" animation disappears and the desktop should appear.
At this point the screen goes dead. Somehow the signal freezes the monitor and I need to physically unplug it from the power to shut it down (all buttons are dead, screen shows white noise).If, at this point, I replug the monitor to the power (when windows has finished logging in), everything is ok - I can see the desktop.

So something that happens between the splash screen and the showing of the desktop freezes the monitor.

I'm sure the driver is ok, and I've reinstalled it dozens of times now from several sources, including intel & msi, with manual download and with update software.

I think it has something to do with windows trying to switch to a resolution or refresh rate that my monitor cannot handle before switching to the one that I've chosen for it. Also, it could be a clash between the software that comes with the driver (cannot install just the driver) and windows.

When I boot in safe mode everything is ok.
Booting in safe mode with VGA support also makes everything ok. Even more, it loads the driver's software and everything works wonderfully.

Only in normal boot I get this problem.
What happens in normal boot that doesn't happen on safe mode with VGA support boot???

I'm near to going mad, so plz plz help!

Thanks!

System:
--------
Oldish Pentium with hyper threading...
MB: MSI 915G Combo2, with Intel chipset.
generic LCD monitor (Chimei) - no drivers on manufacturer's site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What is the source for these "onboard drivers" that you manually install?

When XP first loads (after a clean install), it uses the default VGA drivers. If those work and the ones you install afterward don't...then I would have suspect the drivers manually installed.

The difference between safe mode and normal boot mode...various drivers are not included in those installed during safe mode.

I would check Device Manager and Event Viewer for possible clues, once I actually got into XP normally.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

<>

Anytime something like that has an impact, I would have to suspect the hardware or connections for it.

FWIW: Most monitors don't require/use special drivers from the manufacturer of the monitor these days.

Louis

#3 Nir211

Nir211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:55 AM

Bought a new v card and everything was good. Apparently the onboard card must have been faulty. Thank you all for all your help, really appreciate it!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

Glad you resolved it and thanks for posting back with the resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users