Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 update 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mugs001

mugs001

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

I have a 64 bit laptop with Vista Home Premium and SP2.

I am running IE 7 with Flash Player 10. I want to update to IE 8 but it's hard to tell how I could make sure that I would be updating to a 32 bit version.

Is there a 32 bit version of IE 8?

I need to have the 32 bit version because there is no Flash Player for the 64 bit version of IE.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

I do not know if IE8 has 64 bit or not. I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit and was using the 64bit IE8 and stopped using that and went to the 32 bit IE8. I had to many issues with the 64 bit IE8. Right now I am using the 32 bit IE8 to write this and I have a choice, I could open up 64 bit IE8 but with the issues I was having I switched to the 32 bit.

To answer your question, I do not know if IE 8 installs 32 bit or 64 bit IE8 or both. I have SP2 and have both of them.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

The filenames and default download locations are different for Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8 32-bit and Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8 64-bit. You can choose to turn on Windows Automatic Updates and let Internet Explorer 8 be automatically downloaded and installed or you can choose to manually download the file and install. Below are the details for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and I've bolded the difference in file names and default locations to make it easier to note the difference between the two versions.

You need to download the version that relates to your operating system.
For Vista 32 bit operating system download Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8 32-bit version; running Vista 64-bit download 64-bit Internet Explorer 8 The Vista 64-bit download includes both versions 32-bit and 64-bit.

Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8 32-bit version

file download name: IE8-WindowsVista-x86-ENU.exe
Download location and instructions:
Download details: Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

Vista internet explorer 8 32 bit is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\

If you are running Vista 64-bit you need to download Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8 64 bit version
file download name: IE8-WindowsVista-x64-ENU.exe
Download location and instructions: Download details: Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista 64-bit Edition or Windows Server 2008 64-bit Edition

Vista internet explorer 8 64-bit default installation is to C:\Program Files\

Until July 2010 there is free No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
US 1-866-234-6020

Edited by tork, 28 March 2010 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users