Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Awkward Framerate Fluctuations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Synaxis

Synaxis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

So two days ago I had Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit put on my laptop, as I had been running Vista Home Premium and it was just sucking away at my performance.. It was just time to switch. So I downloaded my proper chipset and video drivers so I can jump right back into my game and discovered an inconvenient little problem. My framerate will fluctuate pretty dramatically for no obvious reason. I turned off addons and adjusted graphics settings (which were all on low/off to begin with) and nothing helped. I tried a different game and the same thing happened, so I ruled out the problem being game-specific or internet-related.

I can't tell you how much my framerate fluctuated when I was testing it out while playing the Sims, but I can give numbers from WoW.

Sitting in Dalaran, outside in a street: 16fps, dips to about 5fps
Sitting in Dalaran, inside a small room: up to 60fps, dips to about 25fps
10man raid, in combat: up to 30fps, dips to about 6fps
5man dungeon, in combat: up to 30fps, dips to about 8fps

The framerates will always come back up and drop again in a cycle. The cycle will begin between 2 and 3 minutes after I start playing either game. It is not heat related, the computer is quite cool and it happens anyway. I just don't know. I suspect it's the video driver, nVidia's 179.48 driver (marked as a "beta") but I'm not entirely sure. Any ideas?

I play on an HP Pavilion dv6915nr.
nVidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

EDIT: I just realized I probably could've put this in the Internal Hardware section.. I don't know. :s

Edited by Synaxis, 27 March 2010 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

Hmmm...NVIDIA graphics cards are notorious for having problems with Windows 7....they just don't seem to play nice together for some reason (I'm guessing poorly written drivers).

The driver being marked as "beta" is definitely suspicious. I wouldn't trust it. But with no other options, you don't really have much of a choice.

You were right to post here. Your problems started because of Windows 7...not the hardware itself. They just aren't fully compatible with each other.

I'm assuming you're not having any issues in just regular computing? Running word processor, internet browser, User Account Control pop-ups, etc...only gaming gives you issues (fluctuating framerates)?

I can certainly see why you moved to Windows 7...Vista sucked. One question: did you do a clean install or an in-place upgrade?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Synaxis

Synaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Only gaming. Everything else works fine.

It was a clean install. There isn't a trace of Vista or programs that were once touched by Vista on this computer. Windows 7 is definitely faster and does run games better when the framerate isn't dropped through the floor.

Edited by Synaxis, 28 March 2010 - 12:43 AM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

I see....

Yes, Windows 7 is heads above Vista, but when you lose those frame rates, I'm not sure it's worth it.

You're not the only one having this problem...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...22-01d70a29d979

You might just have to stick another graphics card in it...one that is compatible with Windows 7. Check here for a list of Windows 7-compatible graphics cards. Not really sure what else to do...

#5 Synaxis

Synaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

Eek. I was hoping not to hear that, my graphics card is integrated. :/

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Ouch. That could be problematic.... :huh:

Then I don't really know what to tell you. I know you don't want to go back to Vista, and normally, I would advise against it. Obviously, you cannot continue gaming in Windows 7 with these fluctuating frame rates. And your graphics card is integrated. So you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I also doubt you have the funds for a new gaming computer.

See if this provides you with any insights...

#7 Synaxis

Synaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

I can't even begin to justify getting a new computer, this one's only a year and a half old.

That link gave me some hope though. I'll guess I'll have to do some shopping around, see if I can't turn this thing into some kind of Frankensteinian monster capable of ridiculously good gaming.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

I have to say I agree with keyboardNinja and that the advice given here was very thorough and informative.

Good luck with that Frankensteinian monster Synaxis! :huh: And that quote you made made me laugh! :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

I can't even begin to justify getting a new computer, this one's only a year and a half old.

That link gave me some hope though. I'll guess I'll have to do some shopping around, see if I can't turn this thing into some kind of Frankensteinian monster capable of ridiculously good gaming.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I thought it seemed pretty relevant. I'm not a gamer myself, and would have no clue how to install a new graphics card (without extensive internet research and video tutorial watching). Haha...yeah, good luck with that monster! :huh:

Let us know how things turn out. :thumbup2:

I have to say I agree with keyboardNinja and that the advice given here was very thorough and informative.

Thanks, buddy. :huh: I do the best I can. :inlove:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 28 March 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Can you post the link to the games manufacture's website?

#11 Ryuk

Ryuk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Synaxis, I've had the same problem you've mentioned for a very very long time now and no matter what I did I simply couldn't find what was causing it. Because it seems to happen in a very set pattern I had always assumed it was some process running in the background that I was unable to identify. Anyway, I've recently fixed this issue with my laptop and I'd like to share with you how I did it. I noticed that you also use a laptop to play games so hopefully this will also fix your problem. Ready? here it comes...

The mysterious issue that has messed up every game I've played... was purely the fault of windows 7 cpu power management.

Check it out man...

1. Right click on your battery icon in your task bar (near your clock, volume control, etc..) and select power options.
2. Whatever power plan you use makes no difference, what we want is in advanced options so for whatever plan you're using click "change plan settings'
3. You should be seeing the basic options now "Dim the display", "Turn off the display" etc... click on "Change advanced power settings"
4. A new window "power options" will open, navigate to "Processor power management in the list"
5. You'll have 3 options here, under "system cooling policy" set "Plugged in:" to "PASSIVE". This will make it so that the windows will lower the power to your cpu before it turns on the fan for overheating protection.
6. Next under "Maximum processor state" set "Plugged in" to "98%".
7. Hit apply, and then OK to exit and save changes.

That's it man, hopefully doing this will put your comp back into full swing. Shoot me an email and let me know if this helped you out because I created an account on this site purely to deliver this fix to you, I hope it works man good luck.

---------------------------------
wanted to add keywords to help other's find this post easier, since it took me months to figure this out.
Fluctuating Frame Rates, Staggering FPS, Unstable Gameplay, Video Lag, Windows 7 Upgrade issue's, Alienware m17.
(if anyone can think of other descriptive words please add them to this thread)

Edited by Ryuk, 03 April 2010 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users