Synaxis, I've had the same problem you've mentioned for a very very long time now and no matter what I did I simply couldn't find what was causing it. Because it seems to happen in a very set pattern I had always assumed it was some process running in the background that I was unable to identify. Anyway, I've recently fixed this issue with my laptop and I'd like to share with you how I did it. I noticed that you also use a laptop to play games so hopefully this will also fix your problem. Ready? here it comes...
The mysterious issue that has messed up every game I've played... was purely the fault of windows 7 cpu power management.
Check it out man...
1. Right click on your battery icon in your task bar (near your clock, volume control, etc..) and select power options.
2. Whatever power plan you use makes no difference, what we want is in advanced options so for whatever plan you're using click "change plan settings'
3. You should be seeing the basic options now "Dim the display", "Turn off the display" etc... click on "Change advanced power settings"
4. A new window "power options" will open, navigate to "Processor power management in the list"
5. You'll have 3 options here, under "system cooling policy" set "Plugged in:" to "PASSIVE". This will make it so that the windows will lower the power to your cpu before it turns on the fan for overheating protection.
6. Next under "Maximum processor state" set "Plugged in" to "98%".
7. Hit apply, and then OK to exit and save changes.
That's it man, hopefully doing this will put your comp back into full swing. Shoot me an email and let me know if this helped you out because I created an account on this site purely to deliver this fix to you, I hope it works man good luck.
wanted to add keywords to help other's find this post easier, since it took me months to figure this out.
Fluctuating Frame Rates, Staggering FPS, Unstable Gameplay, Video Lag, Windows 7 Upgrade issue's, Alienware m17.
(if anyone can think of other descriptive words please add them to this thread)
Edited by Ryuk, 03 April 2010 - 06:54 PM.