Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP install issue-parameter is incorrect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rgobryan

rgobryan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hi. Sorry......I somehow managed to post the original question in the Windows NT section, so I apologize for the double booking. I have an older AMD based computer, and I have my XP SP3 disk. I decided to re-platform my computer this evening due to issues it was having. I booted off the Windows disk, and followed the process and started loading Windows in a newly created blank partition (after deleting the old partition). Everything seemed to be going normally,and the process went through "Collecting Information", "Dynamic Update, and "preparing installation". As it started into the "Installing Windows" section, an error message appeared called "The Parameter is Incorrect" came up. I clicked on the "Click OK to view setup log file", and the error file shows:

"Installation failed E:\l386\ams. Error message: The parameter is incorrect"

"Fatal error. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed"

I click "Close", and the computer reboots, runs through the reboot and displays "set-up is being restarted", and I end up back at the "The Parameter is Incorrect" error message.

Any thoughts anyone?

I'm not sure what to do next at this point.

Thank you for looking.

Rob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

Looks like your CD/DVD drive cannot read a file on your Windows XP CD. You should clean the CD surface and try again.
It may also be possible that your CD/DVD drive is not working properly. You can also try a spare CD/DVD drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users