Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost sound after uncheckin boxes in msconfig

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ok, here is what happened.

I was on pcpitstop to check my computer and it made several suggestions with instructions on how to improve my system performance which I followed, at least I thought so. So it instructed me to go into my msconfig which I did and I started unchecking things in start up and service. Thought I only unchecked the stuff I didn't need, somehow I lost my sound in the process. So my volume can not be adjusted and the volume control id grayed out.

Here are my attempts so far to fix it:

1. Tried to restore to an earlier date - no success
2. Uninstalled Realtec and rebooted - no success
3. Enabled everything in the msconfig rebooted - no success
4. Checked Device Manager for problems - no problems

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hi Dumb Blonde -
Can you go back to where you where with pcpitstop and restart the process you were undertaking - Then when you get to where you started to uncheck items, see if any of the items you unchecked are there and try to re-activate them - I know you say you tried it but look again -
First copy and paste this Disk Check item into Start > Run > then click OK
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Next - Insert your Install CD and type sfc /scannow into the Run box and press enter -
SFC = System File Checker -
Thank You -
EDIT - Go to Start > Accessories > System tools > System Restore and click on the "System Restore Settings" in the Left side - Make sure the item marked "Turn off System Restore" has no tick in it - If it does then Un-check it - You will then be able to set restore points -

Edited by noknojon, 27 March 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

MSConfig is not for enabling or disabling startup programs or services. It is only for diagnosis of problems and should be used only if you have problems. There are other programs for disabling startup items. I am appalled at PCPitstop's advice of using msconfig for this reason. You should chooe Normal startup in the Msconfig main window and click OK then reboot.

These are my suggestions :
Start Menu > Run > type services.msc and press Enter. Check that Windows Audio service is running and is set to automatic. In the device manager, select your Realtec device under Sound, video and game controllers. Right click on it and choose uninstall. From Add/Remove programs, uninstall Realtec driver, reboot and re-install the driver.

#4 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Hi Dumb Blonde -
Can you go back to where you where with pcpitstop and restart the process you were undertaking - Then when you get to where you started to uncheck items, see if any of the items you unchecked are there and try to re-activate them - I know you say you tried it but look again -
First copy and paste this Disk Check item into Start > Run > then click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Next - Insert your Install CD and type sfc /scannow into the Run box and press enter -
SFC = System File Checker -
Thank You -
EDIT - Go to Start > Accessories > System tools > System Restore and click on the "System Restore Settings" in the Left side - Make sure the item marked "Turn off System Restore" has no tick in it - If it does then Un-check it - You will then be able to set restore points -

I have a SONY VIAO and it did not come with installation CDs, they have an icon where you can set it back to the factory settings, but then I would lose all data on my PC.

#5 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

MSConfig is not for enabling or disabling startup programs or services. It is only for diagnosis of problems and should be used only if you have problems. There are other programs for disabling startup items. I am appalled at PCPitstop's advice of using msconfig for this reason. You should chooe Normal startup in the Msconfig main window and click OK then reboot.

These are my suggestions :
Start Menu > Run > type services.msc and press Enter. Check that Windows Audio service is running and is set to automatic. In the device manager, select your Realtec device under Sound, video and game controllers. Right click on it and choose uninstall. From Add/Remove programs, uninstall Realtec driver, reboot and re-install the driver.

I am posting everything I see, please advise what to activate and deactivate! Thanks!!! BTW, it looks like Windows Audio is running, and I did uninstall Realtec and as it rebooted it reinstalled itself automatically, but still no sound. I remember as well that I updated the driver for Realtec as well. But here are a few screenshots of the services.mci

Attached Files

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

Romeo, just in case it would save you some time in trouble shooting this, I checked to make sure that all services that the Windows Audio service depend upon are started and set to automatic on the OP's system and according to those screen shots, they are.

#7 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

Romeo, just in case it would save you some time in trouble shooting this, I checked to make sure that all services that the Windows Audio service depend upon are started and set to automatic on the OP's system and according to those screen shots, they are.

Maybe from this screenshot you can tell what the issue at hand is. Everything in Sound and Audio Devices is grayed out I also took a pic of the Device Manager.

Attached Files

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thank you Stang777 :thumbsup: Everything seems to be as it should be.

Dumb Blonde, which service pack of Windows XP are using ? In Windows XP prior to SP3, you need to install Microsoft UAA hotfix KB888111. You can download this from http://download.cnet.com/kb888111-exe/3000...0_4-104699.html

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

#10 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thank you Stang777 :thumbsup: Everything seems to be as it should be.

Dumb Blonde, which service pack of Windows XP are using ? In Windows XP prior to SP3, you need to install Microsoft UAA hotfix KB888111. You can download this from http://download.cnet.com/kb888111-exe/3000...0_4-104699.html

it says my service pack is newer then the one from the link you posted and there was no need 4 me 2 install it.

What's next?

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Okay, in that there is a possibility that new drivers are not working for your Windows. You should uninstall the drivers from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and re-install drivers from the Sony drivers CD.

If nothing else works, then the only solution, in my opinion, would be to use the System Recovery DVDs. If you do not have the recovery DVDs, you can order them from Sony.

#12 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Okay, in that there is a possibility that new drivers are not working for your Windows. You should uninstall the drivers from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and re-install drivers from the Sony drivers CD.

If nothing else works, then the only solution, in my opinion, would be to use the System Recovery DVDs. If you do not have the recovery DVDs, you can order them from Sony.

Sony does not send CDs with their computers, they have a recovery console on here that would set it back in it's entirety to factory state....grrrr......which would mean I would lose all my data unless I would ghost it onto an external HD, and then if I ghost it, wouldn't it automatically restore all the settings?

Let me ask you something:

What if I would enable all services just to see if that would change something? I don't understand why there is no Audio Device selected and I can't select it in the Sound and Audio Device Setting, because everything is grayed out.

BTW, could it also be a different setting in XP, since this is XP Media Edition?

#13 Dumb Blonde

Dumb Blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

Hi Romeo29 and Stang777,

thank you so much for trying to solve the problem. It was the update of the REALTEK driver that caused the issue. I managed to install an earlier version of the driver and TADA my sound is back. Thanks again for being patient and for the help.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

You are very welcome but I really did not do anything.

I am very happy to know that all is well with your computer now.

Thank you for letting us know that you fixed it and what it was that fixed it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users