Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nero sucks

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

Doesn't it? This came with every DVD burner I've ever gotten (2). Can I assume it comes with ALL DVD burners.

I've used an older Nero and it was alright. It did the job and I liked the shiny interface and icons.

I just installed Nero 7 last night. It came with bloatware and even installed a nice little search box in my task bar. Thats sarcasm for those of you in Rio Linda. Thats been a trend I've noticed with software. Most software starts out simple and decent. Then later versions include more and more bloatware and they want to install extra stuff you don't even want. The install menu was rather ambiguous and I wasn't sure what it wanted to install (thats how a typically careful guy like me ended up with the search bar on my taskbar) Theres also a few start up processes I need to disable when I feel up to it.

So this cd , as did the other version, says Nero Essentials. If you want the full version, you have to pay. But whats the full version? Either it burns DVDs or it doesn't. I'm not sure what else there is to offer. I noticed you can't burn an image file with it. Is that an advanced feature included only in the full version? If so, I don't care. I don't want it. I've used program called imgburn (free) once and it was simple and worked great. So when I reformat next week, I will install my old Nero (if not a free alternative) and thank Lite On for the nice coaster they gave me with their DVD burner.

Theres far worse programs. I'm just saying though...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Nero comes with a lot of burners - my LG multi drive included the program you mention.
The restrictions are a nuisance but there are plenty of freebies, e.g.:

Snapfiles

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

I am hearing a lot of what you're talking about here from other people.

My dvd burner came with Nero 9 startsmart which basically is Nero 9 Essentials Trial version.

Yes, I paid $30.00 for a license key to make the program fully fuctional, because they included a free copy of "Nero Back it up and burn" with it.

Yes there is a lot of bloatware, I have to agree with that, some parts of this program are duplicates of others parts but under a different name and in a different menu.

I have also seen that Roxio 10 is just as bad, bloatware, but a much higher retail price.

I agree with you, IMGBURN and even CDburnerXP do the job, If not better and are freeware!

Just my opinion.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 March 2010 - 01:21 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

The earlier Roxio programs are fine, e.g. Easy Media Creator 7.5, but the later programs are awful
and totally bloated, particularly Version 9. And that's just my opinion! :thumbsup:

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

Why would anyone need 1GB monster to burn CD, or DVD is beyond me.
Besides, I've seen enough issues caused by it, disappearing optical drives, not seeing blank disks, burning problems, etc.
CDBurnerXP for CDs and DVDFlick for DVDs, that's all what 99% people need.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

Besides, I've seen enough issues caused by it, disappearing optical drives, not seeing blank disks, burning problems, etc.

:trumpet: :thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: I agree 100% I didnt realize Nero 9 came with that much bloatware until I pasted in my License key, this then activated this "fire Icon" buttton, which in turn opened numorous other menus, containing other menus. Whew I'm out of breath just explaining this here. LOL :cool:

Incidently, the trial version does not burn or create ISO images either.

I thought Roxio 6.5 was great, I have it, but it won't run on Windows 7 and years ago I used to use Adaptec 's Easy CD Creator 4.1, another great gem, but won't run on OS's above Windows ME.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

I agree CDBurnerXP is a great CD Burner.

If you want an earlier lightweight version of Nero,go here.

http://www.oldapps.com/nero.php

Myself, I prefer IMGBURN. Does everything. 

Edited by DSTM, 28 March 2010 - 04:28 AM.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:07 AM

I agree that IMGBURN is the only one you need.

Use the "Write Files/Folders to Disk" option and it will do everything for you, to CD or DVD. You do not need to do any setting up as it will make suggestions as you go. A very simple way to put your photos onto CD, or movies to DVD.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Broni

Of course you only need a small program if all you want to do is burn DVDs, CDs etc.

I have the 'monster' Roxio EMC 7.5 because it was cheap, has 17 applications
and is a fully featured Suite of programs. It also supports burning of Blu Ray disks.

It just so happens that it includes a very good burning program and the whole package works well on XP.

If anyone wants to gather together the numerous freebies available, that's up to them, but
I find that the integrated programs cause few problems; that's why the 'monster' suits me.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

http://cdburnerxp.se/

CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

ImgBurn

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

Now, we're all set :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

Just a matter of which you like best. :thumbsup:

I tried CDBurnerXP on my old system, and they didn't play well together, so I went to DeepBurner.
Did what I needed it to do, easy to use, and worked on my system.

Got turned on to ImgBurn from one of our Advisors (DaChew) posts, and decided to try it out.
I liked it! :flowers:
I burn a lot of ISO, and VIDEO_TS files, and ImgBurn makes it quick, and easy.

But like they say, "To each his own." :trumpet:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

I love the cryptic Comments built into Imgburn, what a marvelious sense of Humour that Program has.

Then proceeds to do a Perfect Job, if you have a Problem? follow the Free tutorials they give.

It is the first Free Program that I have ever Donated towards. If a few others did the same I think it would get even better.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 29 March 2010 - 01:47 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

Whats wrong with just using Windows Media Player? I don't burn much but it has always worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users