Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell inspiron 1525- internal drive not detected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hello ..

Error code 0141
Msg error code 2000-0141

This is for my friend who has a dell inspiron 1525 Vista ultimate
We have done what it says and reseated the hard drive, but we are still getting this message.

I have ran the diagnostics test, and confirmed the the drive is not being detected in the BIOS
We have tryed to reseat the drive a few times but without any luck..

Is there anything else we could try, but luck is not on our side at the moment as we have no other laptop we can try this drive on.
So is this all we can do for now, as we have no way of testing the drive

I was wondering what might have caused this, ryan my friend says he had fallen asleep and had left the laptop on for about 10 hours , it was buried in the bed, so could over heating have caused this, or a virus maybe, its anoying not knowing what may have caused this, the laptop is about two years old....

thanks guys..

PS.

How do you test the hard drive anyway, can you just put it in "another dell inspiron 1525" not sure on that one...........
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Do you know what type of hard drive it is?

#3 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

Do you know what type of hard drive it is?

Sorry deathstalker, i should have put that in this post.
This is just going from my memory when i took it out, but i can check for sure later, i think its a, original dell 160gb sata 5400rpm.
But i can post back later with any other information, i can take the drive out again later when he comes over

Also i have been searching for information on this, and people have bought new hard drives only to find out they still recieve the same message, could this be a controller or motherboard problem, but as i say we carn't test the drive as that really should be the first thing to do.

Taking it to a computer repair shop is the easiest option, but i am just trying to get as much knowledge about it as possable.

We don't even know about all the data on the hard drive if and can be transferd to a new hard drive, and what about windows itsself, that was preinstalled and he hasent made any backup discs,
So i don't know what happens here about installing windows vista ultimate , do you have to purchase a new "vista ultimate disk" or can this be downloadedif you have a genuine licence ???
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

Following is Dell guidance on testing the drive: How To Run DST.

If you've already followed those procedures, I would say that's conclusive. You could always run another/different diagnostic on the drive, but since it's a Dell system with a drive they have specific procedures for testing...not sure what that would gain.

In any case, if the hard drive doesn't reflect a known hard drive manufacturer (i.e., Seagate, Hitachi, et alia) on it, your options to do another diagnostic may amount to sheer guesswork. The diagnostics made by the major hard drive manufacturers...tend to be speciific to their drives alone.

Having said that, I have noticed that the current SeaTools for Windows will also test drives made by other hard drive manufactures...although that may not be true for every drive by every manufacturer.

Louis

#5 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

Following is Dell guidance on testing the drive: How To Run DST.

If you've already followed those procedures, I would say that's conclusive. You could always run another/different diagnostic on the drive, but since it's a Dell system with a drive they have specific procedures for testing...not sure what that would gain.

In any case, if the hard drive doesn't reflect a known hard drive manufacturer (i.e., Seagate, Hitachi, et alia) on it, your options to do another diagnostic may amount to sheer guesswork. The diagnostics made by the major hard drive manufacturers...tend to be speciific to their drives alone.

Having said that, I have noticed that the current SeaTools for Windows will also test drives made by other hard drive manufactures...although that may not be true for every drive by every manufacturer.

Louis

Thanks Hamluis.
Yes the test has been run a few times, as i said we have tryed to reseat the drive a couple of times with the battery out, its just like "flogging a dead horse" only in this case its a dead hard drive.
And with no backups OF ANY TYPE he is what you called "stuffed"

Just saying the hard drive is completly gone , the other main concern is windows itself.
He had vista ultimate on it, so what generally happens here, the laptop is about 2 years old with no warrenty on it.

So hyperthetically speaking until the hard drive can be tested, would he have to purchase a new operating system or can he some how get vista ultimate back with his own licence key

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Dells...have all sorts of CDs they issue...recovery/restore, install, etc.

Whatever CDs came with his system...those are the keys.

See Restoring Your Operating System at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1077677.

Louis

#7 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Dells...have all sorts of CDs they issue...recovery/restore, install, etc.

Whatever CDs came with his system...those are the keys.

See Restoring Your Operating System at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1077677.

Louis

Thanks hamluis.

No CDs came with the laptop, (usually the case) just the OS preinstalled.
I have been ringing around a few local computer repair shops, and found one which i think is not bad for 90..it that

He will test the drive or see if he can repair it, if not he will repace the HDD and reinstall vista ultimate, and you get your laptop back the next day, to me thats sounds like the best option and pritty cheap to.

The hard drive needs to be tested anyway to be sure.....

Thanks hamluis anyway for the advice

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

Let us know the results, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users