Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sound issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alphaomega

alphaomega

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on a problem I'm having. I'll present the facts as I know them, and let the geniuses here sort them out :thumbsup: I will provide a system profile at the end of this. Recently, the sound cut out altogether on my PC. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it was following an install of "Crysis". I looked in device manager, and found 3 question marks indicating SM bus controller, and two audio devices. So I updated the drivers on them, and only one worked. I went looking for the other two, and wound up re-installing my ATI Catalyst suite, as well as re-installing the SM bus controllers. This fixed the problem. It worked for a bit, then died on me again. This time, all my settings were intact. I checked the sound control panel, and everything there was fine also, i.e. my wireless headset was the device selected. On a whim, I tried a system restore, and that worked. Now, the sound is out again, and I've repeated all my previous steps, with no solution. I've re-installed all the necessary drivers, tried system restore, checked the sound control panel, but nothing. Everything seems to indicate the sound should be working, I'm not getting any error messages, I've tried a different headset, tried running various apps to see if that was the problem, but I am not getting sound in games, or windows media player, or VLC player, etc...I consulted a friend who's better at this than I, and he suggested that this might be a winXP issue, as he had that problem in the past, but not since upgrading to Vista. What could the problem be ? Why would two different solutions work, then not work ? Here then is my system profile....

WinXP Home SP 3, build 2600
2.50 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core processor
FOXCONN A7DA-S/A7DA 1.1 motherboard
2 x 500GB hard drives
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics card

PS. I also tried disabling the ATI audio driver, to avoid any conflicts it might be having with the Realtek audi driver, but that didn't work either. Any help is appreciated !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi and welcome!
Is your sound integrated into the motherboard or is it from than expansion card?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 March 2010 - 09:34 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 alphaomega

alphaomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

sorry, should've mentioned that. It's motherboard integrated.

#4 alphaomega

alphaomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

anyone ?

#5 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

have you tried different speakers?

#6 alphaomega

alphaomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

you bet

#7 alphaomega

alphaomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

The Silent Saga: Chapter 2

I've got a Sound Blaster card in there now, in the event that having a separate sound card will fix this, but I still have no sound. I did check the device manager and there are no conflicts. I updated the Creative Game Port driver, just because I could. Sound control panel checks out, still no sound. What gives ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users