Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Paypal protect me?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alex.c

alex.c

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

I am in contact with someone that has offered to send me two DVDs in exchange for small fee. I was the one that intiated the contact through their website but I have no reason to trust this person.

If I was to pay through Paypal and the DVDs did not trun up would Paypal reimburse this small fee (significant enough to want it back)? Let's say they did not even send the DVDs, I would have no proof of anything (such as a tracking number).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Take a look here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=x...tection-outside

It's about any other online purchase
You were charged for something you didn't buy

As a fraud-prevention measure, we send an email confirmation for every online PayPal payment that you make. If you receive an email confirmation for a transaction that you didn't approve, contact us immediately and we'll work to quickly resolve the issue — you won't be responsible for any unauthorized charges.
What you bought never showed up

Regardless of where you shop online, PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy lets you submit a dispute for an item you don't receive. You have the opportunity to resolve your dispute directly with the Seller or escalate to a claim. See eligibility

Bold is mine for relevant portion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

Paypal has information that will tell you what it covers and does not cover. As far as I am aware the answer is no they won't reimburse money; only certain credit cards do that. I suggest you read the paypal info carefully before paying. I have been happy with paypal and as I understand it the main aim of paypal is to give you a secure way to pay online, keeping your bank details secure from the seller.

Edited by carri, 27 March 2010 - 12:37 PM.

Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

I went through a "Paypal dispute" and won.

The Seller both incorrectly described the item (on Ebay) and showed an incorrect picture of the item.

Paypal credited back my Credit Card, effectively giving me my money back, including shipping.

The Seller refused to pay return shipping, so I not only got my money back but ended up keeping the item.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

The reason you got your money back was probably because you used a credit card as opposed to a debit card or a cash transfer, and also the fact that the item was incorrectly described.. Glad you got your money back John :thumbsup:

Paypal act as a third party in a transaction between the buyer and the seller. They provide something called buyer protection for some items (NOT ALL) up to an amount equivalent to £250 on ebay with various conditions attached in the small print. I don't know if the same thing applies to transactions outside ebay.
Posted Image

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Actually PayPal credited me from a Cash Transaction made through PayPal, when the Goods did not arrive from India as a Transaction on Ebay.

I prefer to keep a small amount of Cash in my Account for instant Payments.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

I stand corrected :thumbsup: ^^ but I would still check their policy as to what they say they will and will not cover to be sure. I also think that there is a different policy for ebay than for individual private transactions.

Edited by carri, 28 March 2010 - 08:15 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

@ Carrie

Simple as this,

Step 1 - Open dispute right away

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre to contact a seller directly and resolve a problematic transaction. You have 45 days from the payment date to open a dispute. Common reasons for opening a dispute include:
A buyer asks for a seller's help in resolving an issue with a transaction.
Located in My Account, the PayPal resource for resolving issues between buyers and sellers.
A buyer and seller come to an agreement and close the case, or PayPal comes to a decision and closes the case.

* You paid for an item but haven't received it and the seller is uncooperative or unresponsive
* You received an item that was significantly–not–as–described (SNAD).

Click the Report a Problem button in the Resolution Centre to open a dispute. Then, provide more information about the issue and post a message to the seller.

You must wait 7 days to allow for delivery before opening a dispute for an item not received. Transactions older than 45 days cannot be disputed but should still be reported. PayPal tracks seller performance trends in the event we need to take action to protect other buyers.

Next Page.

Step 2 - Negotiate to resolve dispute

You and the seller have 20 days to resolve the dispute or escalate it to a PayPal claim.

The seller reviews your message and replies in the Resolution Centre. This is your opportunity to communicate directly and resolve the issue by exchanging message posts. Communicate clearly and include suggestions about how to resolve the issue, such as through a full or partial refund.

PayPal can view all posted messages in case the dispute is escalated to a claim.

We place a hold on all funds related to the transaction until the dispute is resolved or closed.

Third Page,

Step 3 - Close the dispute or escalate to a claim

You can close a dispute if you and the seller reach an agreement.

Otherwise, you can escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 days of opening the dispute. We automatically close disputes after 20 days.

Wait until you are satisfied with the resolution before closing a dispute. Generally, a closed dispute cannot be reopened or escalated to a PayPal claim.

Select the open dispute in the Resolution Centre and click the desired action at the bottom of the dispute details screen to close or escalate a dispute.

We require more information from you when you escalate a dispute to a PayPal claim.

Fourth Page,

Step 4 - We investigate and resolve the claim

By escalating a dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to review it and decide the outcome.

We try to resolve cases within 30 days, but complex cases may take longer to investigate, deliver a final decision, release any funds and close the case.

You and the seller may be subject to specific deadlines for new information. We use the messages exchanged in the Resolution Centre, along with other details, to determine the outcome.

You can track the progress of your claim and respond to requests for information in the Resolution Centre.

We notify you when we come to a final decision.

That actually applies to ALL PayPal Transactions, under Law.

BTW, it does work, you just have to follow what is said and wait it out. Always keep Records of the complete Transaction. If in Doubt, like many things, don't, unless you want to save the Details needed by PayPal and many other Credit/Providing Organizations.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 29 March 2010 - 01:26 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

ok Ray I don't doubt you :thumbsup: I was merely advising our colleague to check it out. I did say I think :flowers: Best of luck whatever you decide to do Alex
Posted Image

#10 alex.c

alex.c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:29 AM

Thank you to everyone that replied, especially Drovers Dog.
I did try to find the information out myself on Paypal but clearly I did not look hard enough/long enough.

I will be going ahead with the transaction and I'm sure it will go smoothly.

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:41 AM

Glad to help.

I actually had to learn it the hard way too.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 02 April 2010 - 04:48 AM.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users