Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's a crawl

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 webuser

webuser

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hello All:
My computer was slow this AM a bit and when I restarted the computer, it did a CHKDSK on its own. It wasnít too bad afterwards but this PM it became a crawl. It takes 20 minutes to open a word file for example. The shortcut to an XL and another to a Word file could not find the files. To open the internet, again about 15 minutes.

About an hour ago, even though the key board was on lower case, when I tried to type this and post, it was printing all caps. I restarted the computer, hoping the slowness might get fixed, it didnít. ( except it prints in lower case as it should).

Yesterday I changed my antivirus from Avira free version to Avast free fversion. But it slowed me down so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Avira. I shut down the computer after uninstalling the Avast. I have Webroot spysweepoer and had it for a number of years, so that is no9t new. I also have Superantispyware and Malware bytes. Tried to run spuerantispuyware and after 1 hour it was still scanning the registry items, some thing it flies thru.

Avira and Webroot antivirus run concurrently and provide live protection and are daily updated automatically.
Superantispyuware and Malware bytes do not provide automatic updates and only run on demand, no live protections.

The CPU usage has been max of 30% and as low as 1% per my task manager and the commit charge has been been above 800M and below 1000/5209MM. I had virus infection at my home computer and the cpu usage was 100% all the time.
I have a Dell core2quad with 3.2GB RAM . Windows XP professional SP3.
Do you have any insight on how to fix this?
I really appreciate your input.
Thank you.
webuser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hello,

This can very well be hardware failure, but lets check for malware first, since we are in this forum already.

Please download mbr.exe and save it to your desktop.
Doubleclick on mbr.exe to run it.
Afterwards the log will be created on your desktop. Please post the contents of mbr.log in your next reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users