Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping right click

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 baltovet

baltovet

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

For some time I have found that when I right click any file or icon on my desktop, instead of getting the usual choices (i.e. open, copy, paste, rename.........etc.) I get an hourglass that will remain indefinitely and lock up the system. The only way I have found around this is to log off and then log back on through task manager. Once I am logged back on the right click works fine. It seems to do it ONLY the first time the right mouse button is used. It also only seems to happen when the right mouse button is used on a file or icon. If I right click on the start button, everything works fine.

I've never seen or heard of anything so strange. Anyone ever come across this?

Thanks for your input

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Which program did you install recently, specially a program that installed right-click context menu items ?

If you do not know here is an example : all Anti-virus software install right-click context item for scanning a selected folder or file.

Problem with some such context menu handlers is that they are programmed badly or are incompatible with current version of Windows and hang up the system. You can download FileMenuTools from http://www.lopesoft.com/en/ to enable disable them.

Experiment by disabling the items one by one and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by Romeo29, 27 March 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#3 louisjenveygoogle

louisjenveygoogle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

This is caused because loads of programs are installed and have to be found for the "New" or "Open With" Menu.

Hope This Helps

Louis

#4 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

I don't believe I can relate downloading any particular program when this began, but the part that is most difficult to understand is why it only happens the very first time I use the right click. As mentioned, if I log off and then back on after it first happens, the problem disappears. I would think if another program was causing the problem, it would be more constant. Also.....other than when I right click on a file or folder, the right mouse button works normally with everything else.

Thanks again for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users