Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to learn about computers and computer science

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcgoindown

pcgoindown

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Hi

I like this site and the information provided. Although I'm still a bit skeptical of altruistic pc help, I really appreciate the effort so far given.

I am a total beginner to the PC world and would really like to start learning about computers but I live in a tiny village in the middle of EU and really can't start college now. I know this is really a broad area but could anyone recommend a strategy for a guy in my position who would like to get involved with learning about computers and computer science? I'm online here at home and so can use mostly internet based stuff.

Also,regarding the volunteer helper thing going on here: How is this site supported? I mean, why are people willing to come on here and help total strangers with such complex pc issues?

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

How is this site supported?

Advertisements.
Logged in members do not see the advertisements, but Guests do.

I mean, why are people willing to come on here and help total strangers with such complex pc issues?

For most, it's the feeling you get from helping someone resolve their problems.
Most of us still remember what is was like, when we first started using computers, experiencing problems, and the hours of research it sometimes took, to resolve the problem.
Having a place like BC to come to, for dependable help, would have made things so much easier.

Contrary to popular belief, there are still some people who enjoy helping others, without the expectation of remuneration.
A simple "Thank you" though, is much appreciated. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi pcgoindown and welcome!

I can make a few suggestions to you regarding your interest in learning about computers.

If you see a magazine laying around that is computer related, take the time to read it.

If you have book stores that stock computer related books, pick one up and read it.

The Internet as it is today is loaded with web sites such as Bleepingcomputer that offer free advice and self-help topics.

This is how we all began our first lessons in how computers work and what we can do with them.

Once we have aquired enough knowledge, we like to share that knowledge with others just as others have shared with us.

Stick around, there is a lot to learn right here at BC and we'd love to share that with people like yourself. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hey Mr. Bruce

Thanks for your suggestions. I am trying to do these things and will continue. Thanks for working on the site. It is a real treat to have this resource.

Mike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users