Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp service pack 2 (2600)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 josh_kicks

josh_kicks

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Oh yeah I installed uniblue driver scanner and scanned my driver and says that my drivers are outdated and are 8 years old oh my... driver scanner says its ancient lol, well these are my outdated drivers:

Terminal server keyboard driver 5.1.2600.2180

Terminal server mouse driver 5.1.2600.2180

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator 5.1.2600.2180

Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver 5.1.2600.2180

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC 5.620.1202.2004

They need to be updated to

Terminal server keyboard driver 6.0.6000.16386

Terminal server mouse driver 6.0.6000.16386

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator 6.0.6000.16386

Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver 6.0.6000.16386

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC 5.659.1012.2006

Driver scanner said these drivers have not passed the windows logo test to verify its compatibility with windows xp except for the Realtek...I wanted to know if I should update all of these drivers to their updated state except for realtek, well should I? or Should I leave it like that? Are these drivers compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2006) ? Please! I want the answer to these questions badly!!!

Mind realtek later I want to work on my system drivers...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

You should never use any tools like this one.
Drivers shouldn't be updated in bunches, if at all.
Basically, you update a driver, if you have some particular issue.
Do you have any computer issues?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 josh_kicks

josh_kicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Yeah I have computer issues...
this is very weird and very odd, my computer lags and so is the sound... sometimes only the sound and I check my cpu usage and it is often oh my... 70-90 The lag made by my computer is fixed when I play sabre remix on windows media player that's what makes it very odd... oh yeah and well...should I update my drivers? driver scanner is made by uniblue the certified partner of microsoft so should I update my drivers? remember I have windows xp sp2

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

I agree with Broni, updating drivers should take place...when it's apparent/possible that system functionality is impaired by the drivers currently installed.

It's the old "If it ain't broke...".

Depending upon the system manufacturer and/or motherboard model, drivers should be downloaded directly from the appropriate site.

If I have an HP system...I should get my drivers from the HP site, support section. Ditto for all those 'brand-name" systems (Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, etc.).

If I have a self/custom-built PC where the motherboard manufacturer supplies drivers for onboard functions....I get my drivers from the manufacturer of said motherboard.

If I add a piece of equipment (video card, sound card, etc.), the manufacturer of said item provides the drivers.

When a given system function (audio, video, USB, etc.) seems problematical...uninstalling the current drivers and then replacing them with fresh copies (original drivers which worked) or updated drivers...is the way to go. Remove the troubled, install the ones which should work.

Louis

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 josh_kicks

josh_kicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Registered to
(My Username)

Manufactured and Supported by: COMPAQ

HP
IntelŪ PentiumŪ M
processor 1.60GHz
1.60 GHz, 760MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

That's what I got from the general tab.

disk capacity is 37.2 GB
free space is 10.0 GB

my antivirus is malwarebytes
my firewall is windows firewall

I thank hamluis for deleting my private key...

Edited by josh_kicks, 28 March 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#7 josh_kicks

josh_kicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

oh yeah and my malwarebytes is registered...

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

You didn't say what AV and firewall you use.

Also..

my computer lags and so is the sound

Can you elaborate on the above?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

my antivirus is malwarebytes

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program so I hope that is just an error and you are running an actual antivirus program

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

Your lap top is limited by RAM, and I always recommend to anyone I help with computers to keep their drivers and software as updated as possible. I always keep my machine well maintained, and I have no issues with it.

#11 josh_kicks

josh_kicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

*sigh* yeah yeah yeah now can you just give me the answer to my question "can I update all my drivers except realtek?" just answer!?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

<<Driver scanner said these drivers have not passed the windows logo test to verify its compatibility with windows xp except for the Realtek...I wanted to know if I should update all of these drivers to their updated state except for realtek, well should I?>>

<<...oh yeah and well...should I update my drivers?>>

<<yeah yeah yeah now can you just give me the answer to my question "can I update all my drivers except realtek?" just answer!?>>

You have received several answers to this question...so I don't really understand why you keep asking it.

Are you waiting for an answer that says something that the others don't?

FYI

FWIW: Just because a vendor is a Microsoft partner...that doesn't mean that the products offered by such partners are necessary or desired installs on a given system. IMO, it only means that MS indicates that such program will run properly within Windows...nothing more. It's not that Windows users need every program developed by a certified Microsoft partner.

Louis

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

RealTek Drivers

For the others contact the manufacturer of your computer and/or motherboard.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

*sigh* yeah yeah yeah now can you just give me the answer to my question "can I update all my drivers except realtek?" just answer!?

Obviously you can update any driver you want to, whether or not you should, is an entirely different matter.

I agree with Broni and Louis.

In my opinion, unless there is a problem with the device the driver is for, leave the driver alone.

Btw, it appears from your other topic that you have an infected system. Unless you have cleaned the infections, that is probably the root of your problem and it is not a good idea to be replacing drivers until your system is not infected. Were you ever able to get the programs working that could clean up your infections? Did you get your system free of infections?

Edited by Stang777, 30 March 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#15 josh_kicks

josh_kicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

yeah your right my pc is infected with a worm.spambot its always located in my temp folder in the local setting in my user folder and I scan with MBAM and sometimes detects HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue

Lets discuss this topic on my other thread so when you reply post it on that topic OK?
I am now relieved that someone is helping me now since my helper has abandoned me enjoying her summer maybe...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users