Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo firewall blocking mozilla?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Imaloser

Imaloser

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

I recently installed the comodo firewall on my laptop computer. Whenever I type in any website on mozilla, it just displays a blank page. I cant go anywhere. -.- How do I fix this? Sorry for the noob question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

Right click the Comodo shield icon in the system tray. Scroll over Firewall Mode and change it to Disabled Now try loading a page. If that fixes it, change the Firewall Mode back to Safe Mode or whatever you had it set to previously. Now open Comodo's firewalls screen. Click Define a new trusted application. Browse to C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe and click OK and then Apply
You should be done now

Edited by xblindx, 27 March 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Don't under any circumstances make Mozilla a trusted application in Comodo. Open the Comodo Interface and click on Firewall>Advanced>Network Security Policy>Application Rules>scroll down and right click on the Mozilla Firefox entry and choose Edit>in the screen that opens check the Use a Predefined Policy box and choose Web Browser from the pull down menu> click apply and ok your way out. Do the same for IE8 or any other browser you use. The only applications you should give "Trusted" to in Comodo are your security programs such as an AV, SAS, MBAM etc.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

Is there a reason you don't trust Firefox? Defining it as a web browser allows it to connect and receive connections from the internet anyway.

#5 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for responses guys. I tried both methods exactly like you guys described, but neither worked. A blank page still loads whenever I type in any web address.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

Is there a reason you don't trust Firefox? Defining it as a web browser allows it to connect and receive connections from the internet anyway.

Yes, but most malware will enter through your browser and if it is set as "allow all requests" then it could easily get past Comodo. By treating it as a browser why by the way is the Comodo recommendation it reduces the chance of becoming infected.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for responses guys. I tried both methods exactly like you guys described, but neither worked. A blank page still loads whenever I type in any web address.

It may be that you have a corrupted user profile if so follow the instructions in the link below. Remember to export you favorites to a folder on your desktop first which can be imported to your new profile folder.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

Yes, but most malware will enter through your browser and if it is set as "allow all requests" then it could easily get past Comodo. By treating it as a browser why by the way is the Comodo recommendation it reduces the chance of becoming infected.

The only thing defining it as a web browser blocks is "Unmatching Requests". If the user is using the Defense+ feature of Comodo, that would stop anything from slipping past the firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users