Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antispyware XP on Dell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StacyM

StacyM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hey,

New to this so if I sound needy .... I am. Got a computer with Antispyware XP on it. Darn thing has everything locked down. I have tried your solution regarding downloading the malwarebytes and so forth. It did find and destroy 5 issues but the problem still is there. I'm not sure that the updates got loaded. I then tried to e-mail the updates and "IT" would not accept an e-mail with malwarebytes in it but it would accept an email that did not contain a "fix". This is one smart virus.

Not sure what to do now. Soooo not smart about this stuff.

Help PLEASE,

StacyM

Edited by elise025, 27 March 2010 - 02:17 AM.
I merged the post you made with this topic ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StacyM

StacyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hello,

I posted this at the end of another post by mistake, I hope this is okay. I have never done this before, please forgive my ignorance.
One of my computers has the Antispyware Xp virus mess on it. I tried the Malwarebytes fix , it found 5 items and killed them. But, it did not fix the problem. The computer does not seem to want to update and when I sent it the update for Malwarebytes via e-mail it would not accept the e-mail. Although, it did accept an e-mail with no anti virus attachment. Does this thing really know not to accept something with a fix?
I have not saved anything to an external hard drive because I don't want to save the virus. I know that is very basic knowledge but I do not understand how all of this works.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

StacyM

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

Hello StacyM,

I merged the post you made in another topic with this topic. Its not a good idea to post about your problem in another topic. This is considered rude, and it also decreases your chance of getting help, since not many will observe it. No harm done, just wanted to let you know :thumbsup:

Can you please start with showing me the MBAM log (open MBAM, look on the Logs tab, you should see logs saved there).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 StacyM

StacyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

Elise,

I was afraid of that but after posting the first time I realized it I probably should have started a new topic. Thank you for straightening it out.

How do I get the logs to you . They are on a different computer from this one and the virus won't let it connect to the internet?

Again, I appologize for the ignorance and applaud you for the advise.

StacyM

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

You can copy the log file onto a flash drive and transfer it to your other computer.

To do this safely, please use Flash Disinfector.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 StacyM

StacyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Elise,

I tried to save to the flash and it said that this flash did not support the info. Wierd! So, I saved it to a cd and tried to install it on the "good" computer. It then told me that the drive or network connection for the mbam file.... ink' was not available. I did this 2x. Don't know where to go from here.
In the mean time I noticed that the infected computer did not show the "WARNINGS" anymore. And I can connect to the internet. I ran the first scan, the one that found the bad files, on the 24 and the computer still showed infected until today, the 27th. Is it really clean or has it only changed? I really think these things are alive. And if it is really clean why did it still show to have problems even yesterday and suddenly it's all good?

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

Okay, thats good news!

Please re-run MBAM, update it and run another quick scan. Please post me the results.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users