Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuing issues after "removing" "antivirus soft"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Clams

Clams

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Recently I found that I was infected with "antivirus soft" after doing a search on google about it, and was directed to a link on this site containing a guide to removing it... : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-soft

Eventually, through using that guide, I was happily able to seemingly remove it with Malwarebytes after having to re-apply the steps a few times, until it finally found nothing and therefor I thought I was clean.. but then I began to notice various other strange issues like programs not responding very quickly, or at all.

The most annoying being that I found I could not remove unwanted files in the add/remove folder, as it would say the windows installer service was already in use. While inspecting it further I found one, and sometimes two copies of msiexec.exe always running no matter how much I tried to end the task. In services.msc, Windows Installer is set to manual, and both the start and stop buttons are greyed out even though the service says it's started. I've tried various things to get it to work, including trying to download windows installer 3.1, but no amount of clicking the link ever works to load the download, and nowhere else have I found a viable option to getting it to work for me.

Eventually today, and I'm not even sure how it happened, but there was a small window in which I found msixec.exe wasn't in the task manager window and I decided I'd uninstall malwarebytes and try to re-install it, as the update gave me an error the first time.. and success.. it uninstalled, and then while trying to uninstall ad-aware, it got caught up in a seeming loop, trying to access the windows installer, so I just ended the task and now dreadfully msiexec.exe is back always on in the task manager.

Then while on firefox trying to figure it out I a get a popup message:

Windows Internet Security

Your browser is under the threat of infection. Windows requires your permission to install online protection tool.Your browser is run in unsafe mode. Running the protection mode will help you to keep your computer safe. Staying at the suspicious website in unsafe mode may lead to the loss of personal data and computer breakage. To run the web browser in protected mode Windows requires installing the certified antivirus scanner software and online protection tool.
name: Online Protection Tool
publisher: Microsoft Windows

It seemed rather fishy, so after searching that, I found this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248434/redirector-causing-issues-in-ie7-in-xp/ that looked like the same issue, so I go to download malwarebytes again and found the malwarebytes site didn't work for me, and while trying to find alternate routes to it, found I was getting redirected, etc, and sometimes just appearing like the site was down. eventually I found a working link to the download, got it installed, and then found another error not letting me update. I tried a link to manually downloading the definition updates but the link brings me to a downed site, so I'm a bit stuck as I know I need those update definitions but can't get them, and I'm not sure what else to do at this point :/.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, with latest windows updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clams

Clams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Update on the above: After continued random various issues, I decided it would be easiest to reformat and start fresh, so that's what I've done. Therefor the above original post, and this new response can be removed, or considered solved as is. (I would have just edited that one to say the same up top, but couldn't find an edit option) Either way, Thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users