Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell studio 1537 will not boot no screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doziman803

doziman803

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I have a friends laptop. Dell Studio 1537 and it will not boot. I can hear the hard drive spin and the lights on the keyboard light up then it just dies. I took out the memory and tryied just one stick and nothing.
I pulled the harddrive and the same thing happened.

Thanks
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

I would try booting to a Ubuntu linux LiveCD disk and see if this is not a harddrive failure.

If you are interested in trying this troubleshooting proceedure I will provide a link to download the ISO image here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

This ISO image creates a bootable disk like operating system, which can be used for trouble shooting and does not have to be installed to run. It will run right off the cdrom disk.

This web page includes all information you'll need and because it is linux related you can pop over to the linux\unix forums section of BC.com at this link if you need more assistance:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Good luck.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 March 2010 - 07:36 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 doziman803

doziman803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Cant use the cd it has a cd in the drive and it is none responsive.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for your reply, you say the harddrive appears to be spinning up, can you double check to see if it is the harddrive you are hearing?

Is there any physical damage to the laptop's exterior, specially the hinge areas?

Can you check to see if the processor's cooling fan is functioning properly and that there is no dust blocking any of the air vents?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 doziman803

doziman803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for your reply, you say the harddrive appears to be spinning up, can you double check to see if it is the harddrive you are hearing?
yes it is the hard drive i took off the cover. Its the only part that is function but only for about 3 seconds when it stops.

Is there any physical damage to the laptop's exterior, specially the hinge areas?
Yes there is a small dent in the front right hand corner

Can you check to see if the processor's cooling fan is functioning properly and that there is no dust blocking any of the air vents?
A little bit of dust but nothing to obstruct it from spinning.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

Even if the processor fan in a laptop is spinning freely you need to make sure the heatsink behind it is not clogged with dust, I have seen this a lot with laptops that shutdown or lockup frequently.

#7 doziman803

doziman803
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

as far as I can tell there is nothing below the fan. I cant really tell with out pull some screws, which are on the front and back. do I need to start dismantling it or is there something else I can try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users