Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse not recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bowser701

bowser701

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hello

The hard drive in my desktop computer crashed, a new one was put in and the OS installed. I got it online ok, then downloaded my anti virus to the desktop, then checked for windows updates. There seemed to be a few updates, so I went ahead and said yes to all. I got an error message saying that not all of them could be installed and to try again later. So I then decided to install my anti virus, following instructions to remove any other existing anti virus programs. I went to add/remove and selected Nortons which is the one I want to remove, I selected remove then nothing. Everything just sat there for about 10 minutes, I tried to bring up task manager but discovered that the mouse and keyboard weren't responding.

I ended up turning the computer off by holding in the on/off button. I tried the mouse and keyboard on another computer, and they work fine. I put them back onto the troubled computer, started it and nothing happens, it goes through the start up thingy ok, the little light flashes on the mouse, the keyboard lights flash, then nothing happens. They connect via usb and I have tried all of the other usb plugins, with no luck.

The computer is a HP Pavillion Slimline, XP Home Edition, sticker on the front says AMD Turion 64, 1024MB Memory, 200GB Hard Drive.

I would really appreciate any help.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Have you tried a PS2 mouse or keyboard (or both)?

Sounds to me as if your USB controller drivers may be damaged and trying to use a USB keyboard/mouse combo is not going to allow anything (if such is the case).

The keyboard is the more important of the two.

Louis

#3 bowser701

bowser701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hello Louis

ok, not sure what a PS2 is? Is that a different type of connection?

Sorry, I'm not very savvy, but wiiling to learn, and thank you for your help.

UPDATE

Ok, I found out what PS2 means, and I do have a keyboard and mouse with that plug. I plugged them in to another computer to make sure they worked and they did. I then plugged them into the HP, the keyboard lit up and stayed that way but when I tried to do control/alt/delete there was no respnise. The mouse moved the cursor but when I click on something, such as the start menu, or something on the desktop nothing happens.

Edited by bowser701, 27 March 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

Which type of connection do you have on keyboard/mouse?
Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users