Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe won't start

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 b_charlez

b_charlez

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hi, I recently downgraded my apple software for better stability and everything went downhill from there. Ever since then, only my account (the admin account on the computer) boots properly. The Guest account and any other new account I create have a black screen after login. Explorer isn't starting automatically and it won't run manually either using Task Manager. Unfortunately, I don't have a system restore point that I can use and I don't have a Vista Boot/Repair disc with me. I googled this a little and tried some known solutions, but to no prevail. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell has "explorer.exe" and nothing else. Also, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options doesn't contain explorer.exe or iexplore.exe or any other suspicious keys. I'm an experienced user (even though I don't have a backup or systen restore for HD space purposes), so my pc is rarely plagued by viruses. I'm assuming this is a currupted explorer.exe file but I dont understand why it is booting fine for my user and none other. Also, iexplore.exe won't run under any other users either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users