Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder/Programs/Windows will not appear on the taskbar, why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spixe

Spixe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:37 AM

Ok, all the icons are there (word, desktop, media player, volume, network icon, etc etc), but when opening a folder, the Windows Explorer for example, there will be no button on the taskbar to switch to it. I can open programs, folders, documents, etc, but nothing will appear on the taskbar. However, alt+tab still lets me cycle through them. I went through add/remove programs and got rid of anything I didn't think I needed, and I can't recall installing anything recently that may have triggered it. I did a virus scan, and also a registry cleanup (with registry mechanic) and still no luck. Tried using ad-aware to see to check for spybots, and also looked through all the programs that boot up at start (via a reg scanner) and browsed through all the little windows optinos (properties, configurations, etc). I haven't a clue what's wrong. Everything is pretty good except I dont see any folders or anything on the task bar! Thanks for any tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael Buckley

Michael Buckley

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:31 AM

Hello and welcome to bleeping computer.

This dose not sound normal, you might have Malware so my advice is to Post a Hijack this log here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Toolbar Buttons the biggest button pack for Firefox or Thunderbird
Text Formatting Toolbar - make posting easy and fun.
Xrl.in - Tiny URls

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

Do you see anything on the task bar - like the start button or the clock?
Could it be that you just dragged it below viewing level?

Put your cursor down to the bottom of the screen and click and drag it up.

Anything?

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 September 2005 - 06:22 AM.

#4 Spixe

Spixe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:13 AM

I'm a pretty advanced computer user, since Computer Sci was my major, although I admit I'm no genius. =] Yes, the taskbar's there, the startmenu and all the 'running program' icons are there (volume, network, time, etc), and the shortcuts on the left hand side are their as well (usually ie, desktop, etc). It can be moved, dragged, I changed and customized the taskbar, etc, and it seems like the comp is in perfect shape, i don't see any programs running that should be there in the process manager, it just wont ever have that little box that represents open programs/files/folders/etc. Very weird.
I don't have hijack this... never really used it (i hoped I would never have a need). I'll try that if no one has any other advice. Any other things to try?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

Open your quick launch bar by right clicking in an unoccupied area, move the cursor to "toolbars" and checking "quicklaunch".

To reduce all open windows to taskbar buttons

Click the "show desktop" icon on the taskbar.

The "show desktop" button is only available when the Quick Launch bar is turned on.
All open windows and dialog boxes are minimized. Minimized windows appear as buttons on your taskbar, but dialog boxes do not. To restore all windows and dialog boxes to their previous state, click "show desktop" icon again.

You can also reduce all open windows to taskbar buttons by right-clicking an empty area on the taskbar and then clicking Minimize All Windows; however, this option does not minimize dialog boxes. To restore all the windows to their previous state, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click Undo Minimize All.

Let us know if that works or not.

#6 Spixe

Spixe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:19 AM

You can also just press start/windows key+D and it will minimize everythings thats open and show the desktop, and if you press it again it will bring everything back up in the same exact order. Although I appreciate the help you just offered, that is not the problem. The quicklaunch has always been there. And I'm not too sure how the show desktop feature is suppose to help me in my situation. When opening files, folder, etc, there is no window on the taskbar that represents it. So, for example, if you were to minimize a window, you wouldn't even know it exists (because it does not show up on the taskbar) unless you were to alt+tab to it. Keep in mind, the taskbar is tehre, as is the quicklaunch, and all the other icons that are suppose to be there on the right side (volume, network, antivirii, time, etc). So what do ya think?

#7 Spixe

Spixe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

Fixed. All it took was a little utility called "Taskbar Repair Tool". Fixed it in a jiffy. Something about a corrupt windows shell. Thanks anyways for your help though, truly appreciate the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users