Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC /scannow. I get error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

When I run SFC /scannow. I get this error message: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.
Problem is that I don't have one. I have a Dell lap top that came with XP installed. I have since upgraded via Windows update to SP3. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

You can usually create a Bart PE CD from the files installed on your computer - This information is available to do the process -
Although it will never have any Microsoft backup it still provides a 'basic insurance' if you need to re-install - Some do not like the process but it is available on the open web - You may still need to Slipstream into SP3 using Paul Thurrotts methods -

EDIT - Dell and their dealears need shooting for doing this - You should Always get a CD !!!!
That is why I am not against doing a BartsPE CD -

Edited by noknojon, 26 March 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Check that you have SP3 files in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. The folder size would be between 200 and 300 MB.
If yes, you need to make a simple Registry change in Windows XP. You must have admin level access to do this.

!Warning!
Editing the Windows' Registry may result in your computer stopping to work. Please create a backup of your Windows' Registry before you make any changes to it.
You can use ERUNT to create a backup of your Windows' Registry.

Open Registry Editor and browse to the following location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath
Change the value to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles
Restart computer (or just log off and then log on again)
Try running SFC now.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

For future reference:
Dell will send you an xp cd for the version that came with your system.
The current xp-pro is sp3 the xp home is still sp2
Cost as of last month was 6.99 plus shipping.

The files needed for sfc are not usually service pack dependent and you can always go to windows update and re update.

The entire sp3 install files are available at MS download and can be burned to a cd.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

If you tell us how you got in the position where sfc seemed like a good idea, it might help.

#5 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

Thanks to all for your help and comments!

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3. My machine runs well...no problems. I was fine tuning when I ran SFC. Apparently, I have a lot missing or corrupted files.

Romeo 29: The file size was 596 megs. I made the registry change, and ran SFC, but got the same results.

Ken-in-the-West: If the files needed for sfc are not usually service pack dependent, why would I need to burn a sp3 cd? I don't understand.

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

I called Dell, and they are going to send the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD and some other CDs...at, surprise, no charge!!! Woo hoo!!

What's the difference between Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD and the Media Edition? He said that I could install the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD as an upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users