Because you are logged in an account, you cannot copy or read some of its in-use files. This is how you clone an account :
I am assuming that you have logged into your husband's account at least once. If not log on and then log off. This should create a Profile folder. Lets assume the profile folder of your husband's account is C:\Documents and Settings\Husband
Windows XP (32-bit) creates a default admin account called Administrator during the Windows installation. Do you remember its password? Because we need it now
If you do not remember it, you can change its password. To change its password :
- Press Windows Key + Run
, type control userpasswords2
and press Enter
- Select Administrator
from the list and click on Reset Password
- type new password, save it. done.
If you are using Windows XP 64 bit, you can create a temp admin account using the same interface as given in the above method. Just click on Add
and follow onscreen instructions, use the username Administrator
and choose the Administrators
group when asked.
To log in into this default Administrator account we need to disable Welcome Screen:
- Open Control Panel -> User Account
- Click on Change the way users log on or log off.
- Uncheck Use Welcome Screen
- Click OK to save settings
Restart your computer. You would be presented with a box to type user name and password. Type Administrator
as username and the password and log on.
- Right click on My Computer
, select Properties
. (Or just press Windows Key + Pause
- Choose the Advanced
- Under the section User Profiles
, click on Settings
- Select the user you want to clone from the list
- Click on the button labeled Copy To
- Browse the target profile folder (in your case C:\Documents and Settings\Husband
as we assumed in the beginning)
- Click on the button labeled Change
under Permitted to Use
- Type your husband's login username, click Check Names
, click OK
- Click OK
to start copying the profile files. When asked to overwrite choose Yes
. You would see hard disk activity as files are being copied.
All right. Done. Now you can log off. Enable the welcome screen and fast switching and remove the default Administrator account. etc.
Had you been the administrator trying to copy profiles of two other users, you could have simply copy/pasted. But to copy your own profile this all has to be done. I hope you enjoy
Edit: typos typos
Edited by Romeo29, 27 March 2010 - 04:34 PM.