Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini Note book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 serenity2009

serenity2009

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

I am looking to buy a mini note book for my kids, nothing fancy mostly for playing online games and such. I found this computer and I'm not sure if its good or bad

I saw the 2GB, I know that's not bad but I'm clueless about the rest

Built-in 1800mAH smart lithium-ion Battery.
Performance

Processor Type: VIA ARM 32bit CPU
Processor Clock Speed: 300M Hz
Processor/Manufacturer: VIA
Processor Model: VIA-ARM VT8500
RAM/Technology: DRAM
RAM Installed Size:128M
Display Diagonal Size: 7" TFT HD
Max Resolution: 800x480
Display Technology: TFT
Graphics Type: Integrated Graphics
Storage and Expansion
Hard Drive Type: NAND Fast Flash
Hard Drive Capacity: 2GB
Hard Drive Spindle Speed: NAND Fast Flash
PCMCIA Expansion: 1x SDCard slot

Input/Output Connectors

Ports: 3x USB 2.0,1x SDCard slot,Display Output1x VGA,1×RJ45
Audio/Video:
Integrated Quadraphonic Speakers,1x 1/8" (3.5mm)
Headphone/Line-Out,1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Microphone,Input 1x Integrated Microphone

Communications
Networking/Data Link Protocol: Fast Ethernet,IEEE 802.11b,IEEE 802.11g
Wireless Connection: Wifi
Wireless Protocol: 802.11 a/b/g

General
Product Type: Notebook
Model: 901
Operating System: WinCE
Pointing Device: TrackPad
Battery Type: 1800mAH smart lithium-ion batteries
Power Device Type: AC, DC can DC can car charger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

I will only point out that anyone purchasing a computer without an optical drive...has no idea how much that is needed when repairing or installing programs/games or attempting to reinstall the O/S.

And...I'd better be ready to pay for an extended warranty to cover those repairs I now cannot make/attempt...because I don't have an optical drive. Come to think of it, I problably don't have an install CD for my O/S either. What happens if that recovery/restore partition becomes a casualty of hard drive problems or file system problems?

Louis

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

This is a WinCE machine so it doesn't use "standard" windows and will be limited as to what software can be installed. The 2G you saw refers to the size of the flash hard drive, the actual memory is only 128M and a screen size of only 7". You didn't mention the price or what your budget is but I think for your stated purpose you would be much better off with a netbook which can be purchased with Linux, WinXP or even Win 7 OS. The netbook will have a faster processor, more RAM (usually 1G), larger screen size (10") and a 120G to 160G hard drive for around $300. If you look around you can find full size laptops with a 15" screen at places like WalMart for $350 or so.

The lack of an optical (CD or DVD) drive isn't a major issue. There are alternates such as an external drive, a thumb drive or even accessing an optical drive in another computer over a network. Our family has 4 netbooks without optical drives and we have an external USB DVD drive we can use when needed. It rarely gets used but does come in handy occasionally.

Link to Acer Aspire netbook for $268

Edited by strolln, 27 March 2010 - 07:48 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 alexagoin

alexagoin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

serenity2009@ what rate they are offering for such PC cconfiguration?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

Part of my collection is an Acer Aspire One, I love it but yo it has the draw back of no CD. I bought a USB CD and a set of remote speakers, when done I spent as much as I would have for a full sized LT. But that to me does not take away from the size and convenience of the mini, I take it with me when I travel and when going places I may have a long wait. For a stand alone at home for your kids a box would be more practical and easier to fix when they destruct it!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users