Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Idea Why I Can't Connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Korn

Paul Korn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have an HP dv6449us which came with Vista but I upgraded it to 7. The upgrade gave me no problems and before I even upgraded I made sure the PC was compatible and it is. So I went on to be able to use Win 7 with no problem at all. I was connected to the Internet and had no problems whatsoever. Then one day my wireless internet just stopped working. When i ran a troubleshoot it said something about a problem with the drivers. So I went to HP's website and got the newest drivers, installed them and had no luck. I also tried system restore with no help at all. Then as a last resort I went back and used my original system restore discs that came with my pc which put vista back on the pc. Then I went ahead and re-upgraded to Win 7. Still no connection to the internet. I do get a connection when I plug it in directly to my router but that's the only time I can connect. It just has that icon of a computer with a red X through it. And it doesnt pick up any other connections at all. :huh:

Any ideas at all? Thanks in advance. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Did you accidentally turn off your wireless card via an external button or switch?

Have you tried "Troubleshoot problems" by right-clicking the network icon?

Hit the following keyboard combination: "Windows Logo Key + X" What does the Windows Mobility Center say about the wireless?

I personally don't recommend in-place upgrades. Clean installs are the best way to go, in my opinion.

Also, after visiting HP's website myself, it appears your laptop does not have Windows 7 drivers available...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Paul Korn

Paul Korn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the fast reply...

I did check to see if I switched the wireless button, its not that.

I tried the troubleshooting, no help. Even tried calling Microsoft (still have an open case with them) with no help.

The only thing I didnt try was that win symbol + X. (Never heard of that?)

As for the HP website, you're right it wont show 7 drivers. I called and asked where the drivers for 7 were and they said to just use the ones under the vista heading and that they are the same and will work.

Edited by Paul Korn, 25 March 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#4 Paul Korn

Paul Korn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

So I just tried the win symbol + X to bring up mobility center. And it doesnt say anything at all about any internet connection, wireless or otherwise. Just brightness, volume, battery status, display options and sync partnerships.

Do you think it's a hardware problem? :huh:

#5 Paul Korn

Paul Korn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

And if it is a hardware problem, do you have like a ballpark idea of how much it could cost me?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

I'd say it's a driver problem. No way to know for sure just yet... What is the brand and model of your wireless card?

Use Everest if you need to.

Yes, Vista is similar to Windows 7, but that doesn't always mean that Vista drivers will work. Besides, the upgrade still irks me...if you did a clean install and still had problems, then I would say it is a hardware problem. But with that upgrade, there is no way to know if it is caused by some unknown upgrade bug or something.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 25 March 2010 - 11:47 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:17 AM

If it doesnt work with Vista, and thats what was on it before. Then your card is dead. It depends on what card you buy on how much it will cost you.

#8 Paul Korn

Paul Korn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Its just the regular wireless card that came with the pc. Not sure what brand or anything. How much are they generally?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Its just the regular wireless card that came with the pc. Not sure what brand or anything. How much are they generally?

Wireless Cards and Adapters

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Before running out and buying a new card... Have you checked in Device Manager to see if your internal wifi card is recognized? If it does show up in Device Manager, does it have a yellow caution icon (indicating a problem)? Right-click and check properties, is the card enabled?

Edited by strolln, 26 March 2010 - 09:32 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Before running out and buying a new card... Have you checked in Device Manager to see if your internal wifi card is recognized? If it does show up in Device Manager, does it have a yellow caution icon (indicating a problem)? Right-click and check properties, is the card enabled?

I have had this happen before, where the card was listed in Device Manager and you could remove and reinstall it at will, but regardless of how many times I did that the card would not work.

#12 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

Just a thought but it might work

some comps only like 1 kind of internet connection either ethernet or Wifi, dissable your ethernet and see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users