Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msimg32.dll File keeps being removed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boy Bono

Boy Bono

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Had some malware and/or a virus. Sophos quarantined three items - MBAM deleted 3 items.
Now, some aspects of my computer are not working efficiently - very few, if any applications run - why? msimg32.dll is missing.

Anyway, I uploaded the file from my virtual PC, and downloaded on my main PC. I saved it to my flash drive... disappeared. I saved it to half a dozen locations... keeps getting removed.

I need it to reinstall Xp Pro Service Pack 3, but it can't install the .dll as it keeps getting removed. Is there some security thing that removes any .dll file outside of the system32 folder, or maybe even any .dll file not present at startup? It's driving me nuts...

PLEASE HELP! :D :thumbsup: I'm staying up until I get a reply LOL since I want to know why.

PS: There doesn't seem to be any other suspicious activity going on. I'm waiting for my expert helper on another forum to get back to me, but I thought I'd post here as it may not be Malware related. And since any type of member can post here, I may get a quicker response.

Edited by Boy Bono, 25 March 2010 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:58 AM

Do both of these in - Start > Run box > OK - The CHK DSK will take about 30 mins and reboot your system (let it do this) -
Run this CHK DSK code first to do a basic check - Copy and paste into Run box -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Then insert your XP CD , and type or copy and paste - sfc/scannow (again in the Run box) - This is a system file check against your installed files -

They are not quick so be patient and let them run -

Thank You -

Mod EDIT: Removed Extra posts~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 26 March 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

Hi, welcome to BC :thumbsup:.

IMO...since you have already sought advice/suggestions/help at another forum...you should not be seeking cross-suggestions from a different forum. This may lead to actons on your part which work against or conflict with sound analysis/advice by the original forum you have posted in. Particularly so when all the suggestions are not viewable by all parties within the same forum.

Pursuing different paths to solve a problem at the same time...often results (IMO) in no satisfctory resolution.

I suggest that you continue with the forum you originally posted in until those efforts either resolve or fail to resolve...your situation. When that path is exhausted, that would seem to be the proper time to seek assistance from another forum.

I state this based on the fact that I (and many others) participate in multiple forums and my experiences lead me to the conclusions above.

FWIW: Multiple posts in this forum often result from hitting the Add Reply button multiple times when it appears that a post is not processing properly. Don't worry about those, it happens to me quite often (happy fingers syndrome) :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users