Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Redirect Virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 vstopp

vstopp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Trying to help a friends remove virus whatever from computer....

When using Firefox and/or IE, getting re-directs whenever I type in AVG.com, Grisoft.com (or click using Google.com).
When typed directly into browser window, either re-directs to fake site or error message saying it can't find the website.

ran Malwarebytes and cleaned up 51 items.
ran AVG in safe mode (old 8.0 version) - cleaned up a bunch of tracking cookies, but no virus found
ran Spybot in safe mode - cleaned up 47? virus/trojan etc. Said it could not clean 1, but would rescan on restart. Didn't see any problem?
Looked at Hosts file, had about 400 entries that said they were from spybot. Seemed legit, but still not sure. All were 127.0.0.1

Don't know which program to run next.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. User is running BSafe Online - Ha! I've disable, through settings, but it doesn't seem to disable completely.

I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to clean this mess up. Please help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 March 2010 - 10:27 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users