Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 - Windows 7 - Attachments

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SoundFX

SoundFX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

I have a customer with Windows 7 Pro & Outlook 2003 & NOD32 AV - he gets some emails from vendors with attachments (pdf, xls, doc) just fine. However in some cases, he gets emails where the contents are converted to text, and there are no attachments - only lots of object code at the end of the email (and a lot of it). He indicates that at least one time the email came garbled, the originator of the suspect email sent it to a group (undisclosed recipients). When this originator sent it directly to my customer, the email came through fine. I have eliminated NOD32 as the problem, by turning the email scanning off, and by setting up "maximum compatibility" when email scanning is turned on. I will get my hands on his PC tomorrow, and research further. Are there any other areas I should look at outside of Outlook itself? Could it be a coincidence and possibly a problem with the email server at his ISP? Could it be some kind of malware hidden in his system? If anybody has a clue about this, I sure would appreciate a shout back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have uninstalled ESET NOD32 (Version 4) and installed MS Security Essentials. Although I do not think this is the problem, I saw in the forums that Grisoft's AVG version 8.3 had this exact problem. I will know over the next couple of days if ESET has some issue that is solved with MS Security Essentials. By then my customer will have received enought group emails o know if they were received correctly. Once again, I do not think this is an issue but unless there is some problem with the Outlook profile, I am throwing a dart at the problem. BTW the exact same emails going to a group includes someone else in the office running WinXP ro, and they do not have a problem. ALso he (the customer) can get the email fine on his smart phone. Windows 7 OS is the odd man in this issue.

#3 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Looks like I am having a conversation with myself. I uninstalled ESET-NOD32 and installed Windows Security Essentials. Yesterday, the customer got a "group" email, and the attachments came imbedded in the email as text. That same email was read fine on his Blackberry - PDF attachments were separate from the email body. This appears to be a problem of the application Outlook 2002 running in Windows 7. The customer has another computer - a desktop - with WIndows 7 Pro and Outlook 2002. I have a different problem with that comupter - it does not hold the email password. So when first starting Outlook, the user has to enter the password; as long as she does not close Outlook, the email will be downloaded on a schedule until Outlook is closed. Any ideas out there about these two items coexisting - Outlook (2002) and Windows 7? The only solution I can come up with so far is to purchase Outllok 2007 or Office 2007. I use Outlook 2007 on my laptop with Vista Business edition, and it works fine. The customer is reluctant to do purchase a new Outlook at this point.

#4 vq1

vq1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

I have same issue. I've tried everything I can think of doing. Any luck?

#5 vq1

vq1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm having the issue for just a few email senders -- I can get attachments from some people and not from 2 email addresses. One is AOL; one is sbcglobal.

I'm having the issue on a Windows 7 OS with Outlook 2003. I didn't have the issue on XP so it has to be something with Win 7.

If I forward the trouble email from another account, it arrives just fine.

HELP!

#6 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

At least someone else has this problem... So it seems to be narrowed down to Windows 7 & either Outlook 2002 or Outlook 2003. And it is not consistent. Some emails come through fine - others do not (the attachments are imbedded in the message and unreadable). What I have found is that when the email originates from someone sending to a group list, the email gets screwed up. When the email originates from someone who sends it directly to a single person or named email addresses (not a group list), the email is fine.

#7 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Still have this open issue. WIndows 7 & MS Outlook 2003. It is narrowed down to emails that are sent from an originator sent to a group, not to a specific email address. When the email that is sent to a group is received by this individual, it comes in plain text, with any attachments appended to the end of the message and not readable; and when the same emails sent by the same person are received by this individual, the email correctly shows the attachments which are readable as PDF or DOC files. Any suggestions out there?

#8 vq1

vq1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

my problem seems to be similar -- when the sender addresses the email to a group (i'm not sure if the group is a distribution list or if it is just a group of addresses).

i am having problems receiving from an AOL address and from an sbcglobal address. I wish I could get someone from Microsoft to help without spending big $.

I'll keep checking on this site to see if anyone solves our problem. I really don't want to upgrade to Outlook 2007 -- big $!

What hardware do you happen to have issue on -- i've got a Dell laptop

Edited by vq1, 13 April 2010 - 08:47 PM.

#9 vq1

vq1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

I can repeat the problem from my another email address! The problem occurs when there is no "To" nor a "CC" and I am "bcc." I get it to fail if I am the only "bcc" and when I am one of several.

Still no fix but at least I can get it to fail and it doesn't seem to matter who sends the email to me.

Any suggestions with this additional information?

#10 vq1

vq1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

I forgot to say that it also fails whether there is an attachment or not so unrelated to attachment. Outlook/Win 7 gets screwed up when there is no "To" and no "cc."

Anyone have this issue?

#11 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

The product I am having this problem on is a Laptop - Latitude E6500 - thanks for those who have spoken up with a similar problem. I have told my customer to upgrade to Outlook 2007. They can possibly get a legal coy on the grey market at a reasonable cost. My customer is in actuality using Outlook 2002 (not like my title says), and they have a legal enterprise copy of Outllok 2003 (part of Office XP) that they will try out. I will advise if anything changes.

#12 ArthurDG

ArthurDG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I'm having the same problem, embedded attachment in received mails. I'm using Windows 7 and Outlook 2002 from Office XP, and this never happened before with Windows XP as the OS.

Most of the e-mails are spam and then no problem, I wouldn't be opening the attachments anyway. But some of them are .pdf attachments sent by my Club as bulk bcc group mail.

Presumably a Windows & (and Vista?) incompatibility with an old version of Outlook But is there a solution? Other than upgrading Outlook of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users