Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loopback adapter?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

I was looking at the content in my ZoneAlarm zones, and I noticed 'loopback adapter' is listed under the trusted zone...the only thing not listed in the internet zone. I've never noticed it, but it sounds pretty harmless. I don't know much about firewalls or zones...can someone tell me whether loopback adapter should be in the trusted zone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

i found this
http://www.netbook.cs.purdue.edu/othrpags/qanda115.htm
or google for more stuff
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

"Loopback is used for testing or debugging problems. Loopback simply means that data sent out will be delivered back to the source (usually without actually going across a network)."

So...is the loopback adapter a part of the firewall...is it something every computer has, or what? I looked up the term, but I have no idea what all the technical jargon means.

Is isn't any kind of spyware aid, is it?

#4 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

Anyone??

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

The Loopback Adapter is a tool to create a virtual network. This allows you to configure your network settings prior to connecting to the network. If you are not using your system and or have no plans to use it on a network, you may disable it. Otherwise I see no harm in leaving it.

Be (Virtual) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:23 PM

I'm not connected to a network...so why do I have a loopback adapter? Does every computer have it?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:43 PM

I'm not connected to a network...so why do I have a loopback adapter? Does every computer have it?

It is a feature within the control panel of the OS. And I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking it may have been inadvertently turned on. And I would have no idea how that could have been done. I wish I could answer that, but in all honesty, I'd just be guessing.

Be (Control Panel) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:10 AM

I think you have 98 right? Go to the Control Panel and double click the Network Properties. Do you have VPN or Virtual Private Networking in there?

How do you connect to the internet and who is your ISP?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

Yep, Windows 98.

I went to 'Network' (didn't see 'Network Properties')...I saw 'Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter'. Also, 'NDISWAN -> Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter', and 'Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)'.

Might sound strange, but I'm not quite sure how I connect...I know not by dial-up. It's high speed provided by Charter Communications...I'm not sure of the differences between cable, DSL, modem...etc etc.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

My sources tell me Charter is a cable internet provider. You don't have any need for those VPN entries but they are not doing any harm either. You can remove them or leave them, its up to you. If ZA is blocking it there is no harm being done. You can remove the Loopback Adapter from ZA if you want also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 Patty15

Patty15

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:41 AM

I am also showing the Loopback Adapter in ZoneAlarm, both the Pro version on my XP-Pro computer and the free version on my 98SE computer. I have a simple network with 4 computers hooked up through a LinkSys router. I did not have the Loopback Adapter showing up in Zone Alarm on my 98SE computer until I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free version 6.0.667.000. I also have ZA Pro version 6.0.667.000 on my XP system. I do not have VPN installed on either system. This entry in ZA did not show up until I installed version 6.0.667.000. I'm thinking something is going on in ZA's newest version.

#12 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

Thanks, Leurgy. I will remove the entries...I don't know if ZoneAlarm is 'blocking' them or not. I think I'll remove loopback adapter also...it wasn't there before I installed the new ZoneAlarm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users