Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High performance modem/router for cable internet.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gamer4200

Gamer4200

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

So I have charter internet I have a 20,000l download and a 2000k upload, my upload actually averages between 2400k-2700k, and my download fluctuates between 9,000k-22,000k, and at 3am it can sometimes get to 32,000k But it fluctuates a lot, I used to think it was all just charter on why it was never a steady speed, and yes I know charter does change speed depending on how many people are using it in the area, but the fluctuations are more than just that I can tell its part the modems fault to. Plus my ping used to be between 27-32ms and now for some reason it won't go lower than 55ms :thumbsup:, which sounds good to most people but I am a low ping lover, I even notice the difference between 27 and 55 on the internet. I'm very observant and impatient. I like that super instant response. So I am looking for a modem/router, that is great for achieving low pings and has plenty of bandwidth for my internet. I want the cost to be relatively cheap, The max i'd be willing to pay is $100. I want it to be wireless N compatible for my laptop and i'd like it to support 1000mb lan. my gaming is done through a ethernet cord. So let me know :flowers: thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Well I can't remember if Charter does what Comcast does with the MAC of the modem but they might. But all you need to do is find a modem and router that has gigbit. I'm willing to bet that's going to cost more than $100 tho.

These routers seems to fit your specs.

As far as the cable modem goes, I think Charter is a bit looser than Comcast but still, just to be safe if you click this link then click the Equipment, User Guides & Diagrams tab. There is a list of the equipment they use. Maybe you can find some with a gigbit connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users