Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacker receives 20 year sentence for credit and debit card theft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

Albert Gonzalez, a hacker who was an informant for the Secret Service, has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his involvement in a major credit and debit card theft.Gonzalez who was acting as an informant for the Secret Service after being arrested for hacking in 2003 continued to hack into insecure systems and sniff for credit cards and debit cards. These card numbers were then sold overseas for massive profits as shown by the MSNBC article: "But even as he helped the government nail other hackers, prosecutors said, he kept breaking into retailers' computer systems, amassing $2.8 million he used to buy a Miami condo, a car, Rolex watches and a Tiffany ring for his girlfriend."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

Haha...old habits die hard, I guess. :thumbsup:

At least they nailed him! :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

Gonzalez's Boston attorney, Martin Weinberg, has said his client, a self-taught computer genius, displayed behavior consistent with Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism. A defense psychiatrist's report described Gonzalez as a socially awkward Internet addict with an "idiot-savant-like genius for computers and information technology."

Genius...no! Criminal.....yes!
Thanks for the info Lawrence. :thumbsup:
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#4 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

But even as he helped the government nail other hackers, prosecutors said, he kept breaking into retailers' computer systems, amassing $2.8 million he used to buy a Miami condo, a car, Rolex watches and a Tiffany ring for his girlfriend.

What could be worse than a guy doing an inside job... :thumbsup:

Bleepingcomputer Malware Response Team

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please do NOT PM anyone with HJT logs, read this and post your logs here.

#5 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Good that this guy was caught. I wonder how long he will actually be in prison though :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

Not long enough!
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

I hope they keep computers away from him in prison. One reason is it would probably drive him crazy every day and reason 2. If he got online he could do all this over again from prison. Thanks Grinler for the good news.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:11 AM

The good part is he got caught, but the sad part is how many other criminals are still at large doing the same thing? :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hacking is a phenomonal skill, I'm not going to lie. it's just that people do it for the wrong reasons. What happened to just playing pranks on those close to you and getting a kick out of it? My ex-boyfriend used to do it to me all the time, and I'd sit there and egg him on. He'd go in with remote access tools and write crazy things all over my monitor. I just laughed. He'd only do it when he was really in the mood though. And he'd quit if I asked him to. That's the white side. It's the black side we need to watch out for, only there are too many people turning from the white to the black. That's the problem here in 2010. Forgive me for being too forward.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users