Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

I am planning on getting a new computer before long. I think I am going to get either an hp180t or hp170t.
One of the main differences is the processor. The hp180t has the i7-9 series and the hp170t has the i7-8 series.

I found a comparison list and it appears there are 2 main differences.
The i7-8 series has bus speed of 2.5 GT/s DMI and has Intel Trusted Execution Technology.
The i7-9 series has bus speed of 4.8 GT/s QPI and does not have Intel Trusted Execution Technology.

The bus speed of the -9 series looks faster but I don't know how to compare QPI and DMI.
Aldo I don't know how valuable the Trusted Execution Technology would be.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Why you should choose the the 9 series over the 8 series:

1. Supports Triple channel memory configuration
2. Higher bus speed (4.8 GT/s QPI)
3. Better suited for overclocking
4. Better suited for multiple- GPUs

However, if the above points don't matter to you, the 8 Series is a good choice, offering marginally lesser performance and consuming lesser power.

Good luck!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 March 2010 - 09:01 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Riversoft,

How does QPI compare dto DMI?

Do you know anything about the Trusted Execution Technology? The 8 series has it, the 9 series does not, but I don't know if it would mean to me.

Fay

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

A CPU interconnect is a data path that has the bandwidth AND latency to handle CPU-to-CPU communication. In the case of Nehalem & Westmere, the CPU interconnect is QPI. Of course, this is only apparent when you see a multi-processor diagram:

Posted Image

In that diagram, each of the CPUs has two QPI channels, one going to the other CPU, and one going to the IOH. The QPI channel is a CPU interconnect, as it connects two CPUs. It is also capable of performing very well as an I/O interconnect, and that's its primary use in the Bloomfield, Lynnfield and Clarksfield CPUs. In the Arrandale & Clarkdale, the QPI connects the CPU to the memory controller, where the bandwidth and latency demands placed on it are similar to those of a CPU interconnect.

For DMI, the story is VERY different. EVERY transfer across that interface is either I/O traffic, or I/O management traffic. This is an I/O interconnect, and ONLY an I/O interconnect.

^ Hope that explains what QPI & DMI mean.

Simply put, the Intel Trusted Execution Technology isn't a necessity, more like a unique feature.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 March 2010 - 09:03 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

I still don't really know how to compare the bus speed of the -9xx series with the bus speed of the -8xx series - since the bus speed of the -9xx series is listed as QPI and the bus speed of the -8XX series is listed as DMI.

But that is OK, I think I'll just go ahead and get one of the ones in the i-9xx series.

Thanks for the information

Fay

#6 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

If you are not going to use it very heavily I would get
an Intel i5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic