Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Usage spikes even when moving mouse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#1 pcgoindown

pcgoindown

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello,

I am new to this so bear with me please for being an amateur to the site. Also, if anyone takes it on to help, I thank you in advance. I have an HP Compaq NX7300 laptop (3y.o.) with Intel Celeron M and I just put in a 1G memory. I am online by wireless because I live in the sticks in Czech Rep. XP PRO SP3 (Finally)

I think my problem started when I accidentally deleted my WLAN adapter from "add/remove programs". I went and tried to reset it back up and then got "wireless connection 2" and all h@#$ll broke loose on our web connectivity. Even for my wife's desktop oddly enough. I bought a new router and now it works fine although I haven't tried to connect by wireless on my laptop. Soon after this I tried to watch a dvd on Power DVD and it was all choppy and unwatchable. Then I realized that it was because of 100% CPU usage. I ran AVG and it showed no bugs. Looking back I think I might have made a hardware mistake...but i'm sure I had bugs before this because of scans done later.

I went to the shop and the kid ran total care, saw nothing, sold me a 1G memory and off I went with still 100% CPU and couldn't watch DVD. I even get the CPU up just by moving the touchpad mouse. Any program causes the CPU to go to 100% making it UNBEARABLYYYYYYYYY SLOW. I reinstalled XP (now I have 2 OS) and realised that I didn't ever get the SP3. After battling it out for 3 days, I got the SP3 on there with all updates and it still is problematic. Won't start in safe mode either. What eats the cpu depends on whats running but it idles low unless you move the mouse.

I have run....Malwarebytes...AVG..SuperSpyware...and a slew of other stuff which took like 8 hours each to run because of horrible speed. Probably coulda bought a new laptop with the electricity I burned running scans. I have some logs from Hijack and from some other scans. I am ready to pull the little hair I have left out and use this thing as a frisbee on the interstate. If someone could recommend a troubleshooting process and help I would try and compensate them. Send ya a nice Czech t-shirt or something. Again I am sorry for the non-tech mentality but I will try to give the info you may need and follow instructions.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

Also, because I am using my desktop to send this info, I need to transfer whatever info I need from the laptop to this old beast. I am tryin to get the system info posted now....

#3 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Can anyone tell me how to transfer the system info from laptop over to this PC so I can post it? It wont let me add the file from a stick. Thanks.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

I would suspect video, audio or network drivers and we can chck some of them now. You may need to do some wizardy withyour USB stick to transfer the info to your working system, but this will answer a lot of questions.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

You should get Process Explorer so you can see what is "really" running. Nothing gets installed - you just run it. You'll like PE when you get the hang of it. PE is the Windows Task Manager on steroids.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Expand the columns, make the screen bigger, etc. so you can see the most information as possible in the window.

The CPU column is usually the most interesting to get started with performance issues - who is using the most? It is okay and normal to have multiple svchost processes running, but there could be a problem behind one of them.

You would like the most to be associated with System Idle Process If you see spikes (or not) double click the graph in
the top left coner to display the usage graph. Hover the mouse over any spikes to see what causes them.

To create and email/post/print a screenshot:

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows clipboard.

Press Alt Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows clipboard.

Open MS Paint:

Start, Program Accessories, Paint

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, save the new Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember. JPG files take up less hard disk space than BMP files and just as readable.

Make as many screenshots as you need. Practice makes perfect. Be careful your screenshot does not contain any personal information. Practice viewing your images before you upload them to be sure they are okay.

Some sites will let you attach a file directly to your post. If the site has some kind of attachment/upload function it is usually easiest just to use it. Bleeping Computer has such a function under this window.

When you are done, what you post for others to use should look something like this:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Jose. I'll try to get the sysinfo to ya now and I have process explorer already loaded. Will try to manage this info transfer first..

My notebook is so slow, it's killing me.smile.gif

#6 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq nx7300 (RU373ES#AKB)
System Type PC založené na procesoru X86
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68YGU Ver. F.0A, 18.12.2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Czech Republic
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name MAJK-128A0A93FF\english
Time Zone Central Europe Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1 280,00 MB
Available Physical Memory 777,93 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2,00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1,96 GB
Page File Space 2,96 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#7 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

Name Mobile Intel® 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_30A2103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&10
Adapter Type Intel® GMA 950, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Mobile Intel® 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 224,00 MB (234 881 024 bytes)
Installed Drivers igxprd32.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.4820
INF File oem10.inf (i945GM0 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 800 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF4400000-0xF447FFFF
I/O Port 0x00004000-0x00004007
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF4480000-0xF44BFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igxpmp32.sys (6.14.10.4820, 5,49 MB (5 760 096 bytes), 16.4.2007 14:16)

Name Mobile Intel® 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6&SUBSYS_30A2103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&11
Adapter Type Intel® GMA 950, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Mobile Intel® 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 224,00 MB (234 881 024 bytes)
Installed Drivers igxprd32.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.4820
INF File oem10.inf (i945GM1 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries Not Available
Resolution Not Available
Bits/Pixel Not Available
Memory Address 0xF4500000-0xF457FFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igxpmp32.sys (6.14.10.4820, 5,49 MB (5 760 096 bytes), 16.4.2007 14:16)

#8 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Ok, I got the system info thing down but the screen shot is not happening. I hit the prt sc button and nothing happens...
Process explorer is doing its thing at the moment.

#9 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

HI

I don't seem to have MS paint either. Maybe its hidden.. Was really curious how to do the screen shot thing as that is cool.

#10 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Paint, Clipboard and ProcExplr all good to go but cant copy the page/screenshot to the clipboard. suggestions?
thanks.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

MS Paint can be found in Start > All Programs > Accessories

If you dont have paint, then download GIMP from http://www.gimp.org

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

When you press prnt Scrn you will not see anything happen but the screen will be copied to your clipboard and if you open MS Paint or (some other capable graphic program) that can save a JPG or BMP file, have faith and type Ctrl-V to paste! It is very cool and helps when the crystal ball is on the fritz.

You could click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\System32\mspaint.exe

Click OK and if it is installed, it will usually open.

If you can't Paint or paste for some reason right now what can you notice about the CPU column in PE? Anything running a high percentage?

Do you see any spikes you can hover the mouse over in the visual graph to see what is spiking?

We can look at your msinfo32 now, but since you have mentioned network stuff, that is looking more attractive and we can pin it down in another way if needed.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Here is the link with the drivers for your system.

Your BIOS and video driver is a little old, but now you can check what you have with what HP says is the latest. I would not just start changing things all at once though at this time.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=1093

I would like to see what PE has to say though.

#14 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:16 AM

Ok,

Thanks for helping. I finally avoided the print screen function that doesn't work and now have a screen shot for you of PE.
Mike

#15 pcgoindown

pcgoindown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:22 AM

Hi Jose

Here's another shot that might be helpful. The spikes are a combination of Screenhunter, explorer.exe, PE, services.exe.

Basically, anything I use consumes huge cpu.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users