Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CLEANUP ANTIVIRUS rkill.com error - pev.rkexe opens in notepad MY BAD!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cathy in St Lou

Cathy in St Lou

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

what a BOOB! :thumbsup:

I have used your instructions before to get a different malware problem fixed. Tried to follow the steps for CLEANUP ANTIVIRUS on a Windows Vista system and when the RKILL cmd window popped up I got an error msg telling me that there was no program associated with file pev.rkexe. I answered the prompt with NOTEPAD (don't ask me why, I was distracted and stoopid) and now I cannot 'undo' it -- not to mention I don't know what I should undo it to.

I have been assuming pev.rkexe is part of rkill.com, but perhaps that is part of the dirty dog malware...?

I went ahead and ran malwarebytes in safe mode without having performed the rkill step and found/cleaned 6 infections. Figured I was golden. Wasn't. At the suggestion of an IT guy, ran malwarebytes again today in regular mode and got 3 more.

Now I am back to trying to run RKILL with the same problem as yesterday. I have also tried renaming before copying and downloaded the alias named eXplorer with same result.

Ideas?
Cathy
St. Louis, MO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cathy in St Lou

Cathy in St Lou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Guess I cannot close this issue myself, but it has been resolved. Never did figure out the file associations, but it appears that the virus was not too elegant and had not really set up any sneaky processes that it wouldn't let me shut down, so skipping the RKILL step did not seem to have consequences (knock wood). Running malwarebytes once in SAFE mode and then again in regular mode appears to have addressed the issue.
:thumbsup:
Cathy
St. Louis, MO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users