Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restrictions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 speedk

speedk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hi there,

So I decide to clear the Internet cache, while im browsing a site. I click (Tools -- Internet Options) and receive the message

"Restrictions. This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

But I am able to do everything when I right click the Internet Explorer icon and select Internet Properties. I Din't change any of the Local Security Policys, and I am the Administrator for this Local Machine. So Im not too sure whats happening here, possibly a hacker? Does anyone know what could be wrong? And is there a way to set all the Policys back to default?

Thanks kindly,

Ev--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Have you installed any security or anti-spyware applications recently? For example, Spybot S&D can place restrictions on IE options as part of its protection. However, various types of malware can do the same.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 speedk

speedk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hi quietman,

Yes I have Spybot S&D but never had this happen before. I also have Zone Alarm installed. Also installed recently a Port Blocker program that is uninstalled now. I think you are probably right about malware placing these restrictions. So how should I go about finding out the source of the problem since even when the programs are disabled or not running still the same message. Could the malware cause this even though it's not active?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hello speedk and welcome to BC.

When you have your browser open and are viewing a website, many small files which make up that web page are stored in your temporary internet files (tif's) and our often left behind when you move on to another page, in part so that if you return to that page, it will appear quickly as it is read from the cache rather than the internet. When you are viewing a page and try to delete your tif's, they will all be deleted, except for those that are in use because you have a page open. This is the probable cause of the error message, as you noted that message doesn't appear when you delete your cache from the IE icon with no page open.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 speedk

speedk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:09 PM

Hi Leurgy thanks for the welcome,

Ok, is there a way to fix this? I am not able to access the Internet Options at all when using the browser.

Edited by speedk, 15 September 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

What resident anti-virus program are you using and when was it last updated?
When was the last time you had it scan?

Same for adware/malware scans?

Here are a few web based scans to try:
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner
http://www.kaspersky.com/service?chapter=161739400#betatest

Windows Security Trojanscan
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp

Panda Activescan (IE only)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co...n_principal.htm

Trend Micro antivirus and malware scan:
http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/en/st...orp.asp?id=scan

Etrust Anti-virus web scanner
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

online trojan scans here -
http://scan.sygatetech.com/pretrojanscan.html
http://windowsecurity.com/trojanscan

#7 speedk

speedk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

Hi Enthusiast,

Currently using AntiVir Personal Edition Classic - Latest update.
I ran a full scan two days ago and it seemed clean. Also use Spybot S&D which is up to date and ran a scan about two days as well.

Thank you for those useful links, Il let you know the results of the multiple scans.

Edited by speedk, 15 September 2005 - 07:34 PM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

I didn't realize you couldn't get to Internet options at all. Thats a definite sign of malware. If you go to Start>Run and type in regedit or msconfig do you open those?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 speedk

speedk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hey,

Yep they both work, I should of mentioned before but it seem's this happen after an online credit card purchase. I was a little skeptical about the timing... All those scans are clean except Panda has picked up the classic "Gator" spyware. No idea how that could get on my system. Even then I didn't think this little one could cause this problem, unless there's something else creeping about. It appears the system is clean but still getting the message.

Common name: Gator

Technical name: Adware/Gator

Threat level: Low

Alias: GAIN, Claria, Dashbar, PrecisionTime, Date Manager

Type: Spyware

Subtype: Adware

Effects:
It downloads and displays advertisements. It connects to web pages that contain the phrase gator.com through the port 80.

Affected platforms: Windows 2003/XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95

Detection updated on: Nov. 9, 2004

In circulation? No

Edited by speedk, 15 September 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#10 speedk

speedk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

Aha! quietman7 hit the nail on the head. It seems that Spybot S&D has a feature that is still active when the program is not running. You can find this in Spybot S&D under (Tools --IE tweaks -- Miscellaneous locks -- "Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user). Thanks to everyone for your great assistance in resolving this issue. :thumbsup:

Edited by speedk, 15 September 2005 - 09:21 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:53 AM

"Gator" spyware. No idea how that could get on my system.

Gator is a direct-marketing adware application that generates advertisements while connected to the Internet. It comes bundled with many other programs. Users agree to have the Adware installed in the license agreement which most of them never read or do not read completely so it is installed without their knowledge.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

Panda Active Scan's spyware component tends to be very aggressive in its scanning technique and tends to pick up obscure remnants of malware that may have been left behind by the cleaning action of another application. Run Ad-Aware if you haven't already and see what it says. Its effective at removing Gator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users