Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hosts file and propagation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 spiderling

spiderling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

I am a web programmer / designer. So I need to be able to upload a site for testing prior to launch, or prior to transferring a site from one host to another. Lately some strange propagation issue has been happening. I normally try to transfer a site and change the DNS around 10:30p - 11:00p my time which is mountain time. I usually download all the site files, then I change my hosts file to the IP of the new host. Upload the site files to the new host as well as an extra file with just a couple of logos that I use to know the propagation has taken effect, and then comment out the new host IP and domain.

A couple of nights ago (Day 1) I was transferring 3 domains / sites to another host. I transferred the files, and changed the DNS. About 1 - 1.5 hours later the one of the domains was done propagating. One of the remaining two was done propagating the next morning (Day 2), but the third domain didn't propagate until very late that next night (Day 2). If that wasn't strange enough during the day (Day 2) I transferred another 2 sites around 12:30p - 1p and within 5 - 6 hours they were done propagating, but that third site still hadn't.

I had a colleague in the eastern time zone with a different ISP try that third site and it was propagated. I had family in the same city and with the same ISP try the third site and it worked. I'm absolutely baffled. It is frustrating because, of all of the domains I transferred I needed that third site to transfer the quickest so I could transfer his webmail e-mail. Maybe I have the wrong understanding of how this works.

I tried flushdns several times, stopped and started the DNS service, triple checked the hosts file. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users