Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my wireless is running at 1/4 speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

ok heres the problem i have made a new pc and used my old wireless adapter in the new pc but instead of running at 54mbps like its supposed to (and used to most of the time) it runs at 11mbps the pcs are right next to each other and i have tried putting the new pc where the old one was when it ran fine so there is nothing disrupting the signal my internet explorer runs slow but my online games dont sometimes its kind of random can anyone help its really getting annoying.

oh yeah i forgot to mention its wifi g which you probably knew from the speed and there are 2 pcs on the router mine with wireless and the downstairs pc with cables.

thnx.

Edited by conk, 15 September 2005 - 06:24 PM.

If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hi conk

If you are getting random speed fluctuations its possible someone else is able to pick up your wireless connection and is using it. Have you applied any encryption as most wireless access points have security turned off by default. Try the McAfee Wi-FiScan and see what it tells you. It will no doubt say you need some of their products but may give you a clue as to what is going on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 conk

conk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

ok i have just figured it out and its not actually the network but it is the wireless adaptor one of the pins inside has bent and been squashed to the bottom i have fixed it (but i dont know how long it will last) anyway thanks for the info
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:17 AM

:thumbsup: Yikes!
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users