Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Officejet 5600 preventing standby mode in Windows XP.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CTC40

CTC40

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have a Officejet 5600 series connected to my Dell laptop. I have the computer set to go into standby mode after a period of time. However, It will not go into standby mode. I get a message that says (The device driver for the officejet 5600 series (dot4prt) device is preventing the machine from entering standby).
I checked with the HP Drivers and Downloads site, it says that I have the latest driver installed. Also, all Windows updates for the PC have been installed.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Try turning the printer off.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

My guess would be update software for the printer, I'd take a look in Task Manager to see what's running...or check the printer software configuration.

I never use standby, so I don't really know what could prevent it.

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

When XP wants to go into standby, it queries attached devices and asks them if it is okay.

If the device does not respond at all or responds it is not okay (it may think it is busy), you will get such a message and the messenger.

Of course, even though it might relieve your symptom, you do not want to have to unplug or turn off your printer just to enter Stand By.

Depending on what options you chose to install your printer HP installs a lot of "stuff". Their solution to things they cannot figure out is usually to reinstall your operating system (but you could chat with them from their WWW page and see what they have to say).

We don't know several things and if you chat with HP, they will want to know these things too.

Your system information (sometimes shutdown type issues are related to the ACPI BIOS)

What kind of computer you have (we can determine from the system information)

Has it ever worked before or is this a new problem - what is the history. New printer or new problem with old printer.

If you try to enter Stand By from Start, Turn Off Computer, does that work?

Are you able to Hibernate (press the Shift key on the Turn Off Computer menu and Stand By turns into Hibernate).

If you think your printer driver is correct and you looked it up, what version do you have and how did you determine that?

I would also like to see your video driver information and to know if Hibernate works okay.

Please provide more information and try to answer the other questions and then we can help try to find a solution:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

If you would like another set of eyeballs on your Task Manager, do this:

Right click the Taskbar, choose Task Manager and select the Processes tab.

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory Size. Expand the
width of the Task Manager by dragging the corners so you can see all the columns and
processes in one windo if possible.

Double click a column heading in TM to sort by the column. For example, sort Task Manager by the CPU or Virtual Memory size column.

Take a screenshot of what you see in Task Manager (see below for instructions).

When you are done, we will be able to see what you are seeing.

To create and email/post/print a screenshot:

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows clipboard.

Press Alt Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows clipboard.

Open MS Paint:

Start, Program Accessories, Paint

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, save the new Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember. JPG files take up less hard disk space than BMP files and just as readable.

Make as many screenshots as you need. Practice makes perfect. Be careful your screenshot does not contain any personal information. Practice viewing your images before you upload them to be sure they are okay.

Some sites will let you attach a file directly to your post. If the site has some kind of attachment/upload function it is usually easiest just to use it. Bleeping Computer has such a feature, so I would suggest it.

If there is no such function in your message board to upload files, then use a free third party image hosting WWW site.

Create a free account on some free picture hosting web site. You can always remove your account later if you want. Here are some free image hosting sites:

http://www.imageshack.us/
http://photobucket.com/

Using your free account, upload your screenshot(s) (the JPG or BMP files) to the site and it will return to you a URL web address (a Direct Link) for your new image(s) which you can paste the Direct Link in a message post, email, etc.

Post that Direct Link web address back here in your response and we can click on the
link address and see your screenshot. Post as many as you need - the sites are free.

When you are done, what you post for others to use should look something like this:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users