Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 1 Error Occurred

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcfreak101

pcfreak101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hello,
Over a year ago, I bought two Seagate 1.5 TB SATA hard drives, and set them up in Raid 1 (mirroring), so as to have a (slightly) more secure data storage system. Two days ago, I turned on my computer, and the raid status (Intel raid) had changed to Rebuild. This had happened a couple of times before, so I thought nothing of it. When it booted to windows, a windows driver install window came up, notifying me that there was a driver needed to be installed called "Duplicate" or something like that (could have been Rebuild, or something else along those lines). This was a bit more odd in my experience. I still thought nothing of it however. It installed the driver, and told me that windows needed to restart in order for the changes to take effect, or something along those lines. Being in rather a hurry, I told it to cancel (or wait, or something like that), and continued using the computer as normal for the rest of the day. Come nightfall, I turned off the computer. The next morning, I turned on the computer, and the raid status screen had changed. On one of the drives, the message "An error has occurred" had appeared. The overall raid status was still on Rebuild. Since then, I have used SeaTools and SpinRite to individually verify both drives (without raid turned on) were in operational condition, and without errors. I tried booting from the boot drive in the raid configuration (which was not the one with the error), and it worked fine (the driver window still showed up though). I couldn't see the other drive though (I had turned off raid at this point). I have tried changing ports, though not cables. Where should I go from here? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Try scheduling a run of chkdsk on system startup, you may have some bad sectors on the drive that is showing an error.

If this does not correct your problem, one of those harddrives is corrupting your data and may have read/write error problems. An early sign of disk failure.

If this is the case it might be time for a new drive and transfering your good configuration data to the new drive.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 pcfreak101

pcfreak101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

Wouldn't SpinRite have found read/write errors and done more than Chkdsk though? I used the configuration where it reads and writes the sectors several times.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

I would still try using Windows chkdsk just the same.

Let us know the results after you run it and we'll advise you ferther if this does not correct your problem.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 pcfreak101

pcfreak101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

I ran chkdsk. As expected, no errors. Question: would it be possible (or advisable) to reformat the drive with the error, and rebuild the array from the good drive (which is the main, bootable disk)? Since I have now run three diagnostics on the drive and none have come up with any errors, I don't think its a bad drive (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

That's what I would do.

Rebuild the array from the good drive.

The point in having a disk array setup is if one drive experiences read/write errors, the other drive makes up the loss.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 March 2010 - 07:21 PM.

#7 pcfreak101

pcfreak101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

An interesting development: I was looking at the Intel Rapid Storage Technology manager program under windows, and I clicked "Reset Volume" or something like that under the properties for the faulty drive. It then said "Drive functioning normally," and the icon turned from red to green. Then, it said "Rebuilding: 0%." After 7%, I rebooted to check to see if the console on boot-up reported normal function. It did. What exactly did I do?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

you rebulit your array the easy way by changing the volume lable for the disfunctioning drive.

Let us know if things are OK now, because if this worked, you taught me somethig new and anyone else who runs into the same problem.

#9 pcfreak101

pcfreak101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Well, as far as I can tell, things are fine now. I let the rebuilding go over night, and everything reads A-OK. Question: If I disable RAID from the BIOS, would this enable me to verify the content of both hard drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users