Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 potential

potential

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Howdy. About four years ago I began toying around with computers. I had an outdated Compaq tower that a bought off a friend. One of the first things I discovered how to do was install a second internal hard drive. At one point a I was popping one in and out like an external via USB. So when it was finally time to upgrade I figured I could save only the hard drive and plug it into another computer one day. The years passed, and the other day I trash-picked a Compaq that resembled my old one. I hooked her up, flipped the switch (button whatever) and received the following message:

Windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt <Windows root>system 32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file

Not a big deal, I don't really want the hard drive that was already in the comp and i figured it would be wiped. I popped out the original hard drive and plugged in my old hard drive from years ago. This is where I receive the message:

Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk and press enter.

A quick look online told me that I need a version of windows on disk to get her to boot up. However I do not want to format the hard drive, I wish to run the drive so I can access my old info. I don't actually need the computer. Is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

If you only want to access data files on the drive...simply attach it as a secondary drive on a different system...and move the files.

When you take a hard drive from System A and attach it as a boot drive in System Z...the result should be failure. The settings and drivers on a boot/system partition/drive from System A...are totally different from those required by System B. The only exception might be if the two systems are exactly alike in internal components and that's not even a guaranteed scenario.

Additionally...if a secondary drive is bad, it can prevent Windows from booting, no matter how the drive is attached to the system.

Louis

#3 potential

potential
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't consider the simpler option of using an already working system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users