Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display goes blank after XP welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have a system which I had to reload my XP Prof. and when I boot up the system, everything looks normal on boot except after the welcome screen, the display goes blank. The power light on the monitor starts blinking and the indicator light on the tower is still running. I can boot in safe mode and it seems to work fine, so I eliminated bad monitor or driver. Any help would be appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

It could still be a driver issue. When in safe mode you are using a generic vga driver.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Is the monitor a crt or an lcd?

Some CRT monitors don't have an "out of range" error message so they just shut off the signal. When your power light blinks or changes to amber, the monitor is not receiving a usable or detectable signal.

The driver could be the issue but you might try vga mode from the same screen where you choose safe mode and if it works, back out the driver or just choose a lower resolution as an experiment.

#4 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ended up having to update the driver...please mark this as solved or tell me how to do it

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users