Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

isolated lan ports connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 netquest

netquest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

Hi,

I have a problem where i need to build (cheaply) an enviroment where i can have several pc/laptop connected to the internet but they cannot connect to each other.

The reason is that all these pc/laptop are virus infected i need to avoid cross contermination.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thegodgen

thegodgen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:05 AM

why not clean out the viruses from each computer why would u want to use computers with viruses on them :thumbsup:

#3 netquest

netquest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

I want to clean more than one at a time without spreading the viruses between them and often i neet internet connection for updates etc.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

You can disable the admin shares on each PC and disable file and print sharing.

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

If you use a WRT54GL or other router that will run DD-WRT you can define a VLAN on one or more ports of the switch and assign it to a separate subnet, forcing traffic through the router portion of the unit. Once there you can apply access lists and filters to lock things down.

Also, if you use wireless to connect and your AP supports it you can turn on Client Isolation which disallows clients communicating with each other directly.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Do they all need to be online all the time? Cause umm that wouldn't be smart either they can get reinfected.

What equipment do you have? Router(s) - make(s) and model(s)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 tjcbhill

tjcbhill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hi, sorry to drag up an old topic but I need to do the same thing:

I repair PCs and it is very common to have several virus infected machines in at one time, all that need to be connected to the net for updates etc.

Although I repair PCs, networking is NOT my strong point. I have just picked up a managed network switch that supports VLANs, but my understanding is very poor. What I would like to do is connect a router (which is a second router setup on a different subnet from my main router) to this network switch. I would like each port to have no comunication with the others to at least limit the chances of viruses spreading. As these PCs are not mine, I don't want to have to configure the PCs themselves BUT they do all need to have access to the internet. 

Am I asking the impossible ? My brain seems to go mushy everytime I start reading about VLANS etc !!!!

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

You would make each port its own vlan with the port connecting to the router having all vlans on it.  This way each connection is its own and on the internet.

#9 tjcbhill

tjcbhill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

You would make each port its own vlan with the port connecting to the router having all vlans on it.  This way each connection is its own and on the internet.

Ahh, now see, that makes sense!  I consider I'm not bad with computers, but couldn't get my head around VLANs. It seemed a simple concept but the more I read the more confused I got. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users