Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eMachine W6409 Will not boot-up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

eMachine W6409, XP, little over 2 years old, will not boot-up. Disk sounds like it is just spinning, NO BEEPS or other sounds when turning on. Display reads: No Signal Input. I'm thinking it maybe a power supply problem, so what say you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

There are ways to check the power supply's health.

One way is try using it on another system that you know the motherboard is OK and see if it powers up.

Another way is using a VOM (multimeter) and testing for voltages coming from the power supply.

Make sure your towers power switch is not faulty, as this can cause you to think your PSU is dead.

If you are not familiar with how to do this proceedure please post back and we will explain how to trouble shoot a power supply problem step by step.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

Thank-you MrBruce1959! I know how to use the above equipment you suggested. Are power supplies for eMachines hard to come by? My Lady friend lives 125 miles away, and can only describe the symptoms she gives me, and listen to over the phone, so, since there is no beeps or sounds while turning on, my first thought was the power supply, and the "no signal input" to the display shows me that the video card never even comes on, further suspecting the pwr supply. Being I'm going up there on Friday, I was hoping I was going in the correct direction. Again, TY

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

You're welcome!

Emachines use a basic ATX PSU, however the newer ones do not always have enough power plugs for E-IDE devices.

If this system has SATA drives for harddrives then your in luck, because any newer power supply will work in this tower, make sure you choose the highest wattage rating you can afford, but avoid those old 350 WATT PSU's because they just can't handle much power consumption, so it is best to avoid any PSU with a wattage rating which is under 500 WATTS!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 March 2010 - 01:25 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Well since it is over 2 years old, running XP, and she has done no upgrades, it is pretty much a out of box machine. Sense she lives in a rural area, she has had some power outages, but she never leaves her machine on. So, I figure I can get a pwr supply at like Fry's or someplace like that then? AGAIN TY TY TY

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

You're welcome!

I would recommend looking at a power supply with a wattage output rating of 500 watts or more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#7 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Will do MrBruce1959, again TY

#8 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well, as odd as it seems, it turned out to be a improperly seeded RAM card. PWR Supply good, and upped her ram from 512 to 2 Gig, works like a charm! Thank you again!

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Well, as odd as it seems, it turned out to be a improperly seeded RAM card. PWR Supply good, and upped her ram from 512 to 2 Gig, works like a charm! Thank you again!

You're welcome and glad you have solved the problem and posted back letting us know.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

#10 TheWiseTushie

TheWiseTushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:36 PM

No problem! As odd as it was, since she has never even moved her computer since she bought it, that little bug popped up. Sure sounded like a PWR supply type problem, from every detail provided me, once you actually get it in front of you, ya never know. Seems strange that a little old RAM card can cause such a surprise out of blue like that! Good info though! Thank you again! Rule of thumb I go by, YOU NEED MORE RAM!!! lol Have a Great Day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users