Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MMC crashes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Thinkpad x41 running winxp sp 3, just replaced hdd and reinstalled win xp sp 2 tab ed and updated to sp 3 + 60+ security updates. Also critical lenovo updates.

I went to analyze the 60 GB [more like 55 GB] hdd [rightclick c:\ > properties > Tools > defrag] and got the "MMC has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. So I went to control panel and tried event viewer, computer management, etc and got the same message.

I ran avast and antimalwarebytes and a trend housecall scan while googling. Nothing found. I can't access event viewer but I saved system & appp text logs last time I was working on re-setting up the thinkpad. I haven't found anything that looks relevant yet.

Per the Troubleshooting Microsoft Management Console article I'm supposed to be able to reinstall mmc via Add/Remove Programs in control panel, but I can't find mmc. Either in the list of currently installed programs or in the Add/Remove Windows Components. [typing mmc in Run command > crashes]

Where is it?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Do you have Diskeeper Lite installed on your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hi Budapest

No, I hadn't heard of Diskeeper Lite. I just googled it. On my List To Do was find out if there were any utilities that could do a better defrag job than windows - back in the pre ntfs/nt-type os we didn't let windows clean or defrag our disks. But "automated defragmentation" - no idea what that is or when it happened, have to google that.

I just reinstalled the os & formatted the new disk using lenovo's recovery disks so I was trying to use the analyze function of defrag to get a baseline on MFT size. I try to get baselines on a new computer or a newly reformatted/reinstalled computer - a bootlog, frag anlysis report, system report, event viewer logs, etc.

I haven't actually been using the thinkpad since reinstalling/updating. Last thing I did was install passport benchmarking software and start to run tests - pause to troubleshoot desktop computer's "hal missing" - then mmc crashes on thinkpad. bleeping computers.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Anyone know what version of mmc.exe I should be running for winxp tab ed sp3? The version of mmc.exe in system32 is 5.3.3790.4136. The .dll files that look related so far have matched.

Do I need a certain version of .net framework to work w/ mmc?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

MMC is standard from the first release of XP. No service packs or other later material is needed to make it work.

edit: You can go here to get the latest version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265

Edited by Baltboy, 27 March 2010 - 09:18 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Thank you Baltboy

I thought I replied to this post yesterday, but apparently not.

I followed the link you provided and downloaded the mmc distributable. There was a chart w/ file names & versions for winxp sp2. I have winxp sp3 and they didn't match. Some of mine seem older versions and some younger, altho I don't know if the last four numbers are significant

Mmc.exe mine=5.2.3790.4136 download = 5.2.3790.2612
Mmc30r.dll mine=5.2.3790.2560 download = 5.2.3790.2565

The article also said .net framework version 2.0.50727 was required. I had installed that 2 days before for another program w/ no improvement in mmc crash behavior after immediate reboot or the next two days. BUT, after doing a restore point prior to installing the downloaded mmc I checked again by clicking on disk defragmenter and it opened and stayed open. So did add/remove and computer management. No more crashes since.

I just don't get it. I did nothing and this 100% consistent, immediate crash whenever I tried to open any mmc applet going on for days and days cures itself. Avast was automatically updating, but that's it. So I ran a scan and a malwarebytes scan - nothing found. Could there possibly have been some conflict w/ mmc caused by one avast update and fixed by another?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

If a system restore fixed the issue then there was a system file that had been changed which was causing the crashes. Restoring moved it back to the older version so it worked again. Discovering what caused it will be difficult if not impossible.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hi Baltboy

I didn't do a system restore. I created a restore point in case the mmc for sp2 didn't like sp3. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that - the point was I was in the process of installing the mmc download because I hadn't done anything else and couldn't think of anything else to do to fix it other than the install. I just clicked on the defrag utility 'cause Windows sometimes does fix itself if it sits and rests awhile. [really] Only I [really] didn't think an overnight rest was going to help after a week of overnight rests and I expected to see it crash again.

I thought of doing a restore point, but I'd just gone thru all those updates w/ windows and lenovo and I didn't want to repeat any part of that experience again so soon if I could help it.

Since I just put in the new, probably refurbished, hd provided under warranty I've been turning the thinkpad on when I turn on my other 2 computers just to let it run so if the hd has a problem it'll have a chance to manifest. And avast updates itself automatically whenever the computer's on. So at some point, without me using the computer, mmc developed a crash problem and then without me doing anything it cured itself. So all I can think of is one update caused a problem w/ mmc and another cured it. I have windows automatic updates set to notify me but not download or install, so windows shouldn't have updated itself.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users