Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kmixer.sys CPU usage and choppy video play

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Persian Pride

Persian Pride

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hello guys, I just joined this forum since I was having problems with my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Intel Pentium M processor (1.8 GHz) and 2GB RAM. I have a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card.

I just recently reformatted my laptop and couldn't help but notice the horrible video playback. I did a few things such as installing DirectX, updating flash player, and unchecking all non-microsoft related startup processes (msconfig).
My laptop sometimes does great and plays my game at 20-30 FPS, but then after a few minutes, the FPS drops to about 3.
Same with watching videos. It's like looking at pictures really. Thats how bad the choppiness is.

So I decided to do some investigation and installed Process Explorer to look into detail. Turns out that under the System process, there is a thread called kmixer.sys which is a driver for a soundcard I guess. This one thing has spikes in CPU usage up to 70% sometimes.
Another thread to look at under Svchost is krnl or kernel something. Also uses quite a bit sometimes.

I wanted to see if anyone could possibly help me as I would greatly appreciate it. I looked at just about every forum there is about my problems, and still haven't gotten a solid solution yet.

Thank you in advance,
SK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hi Persian Pride -

Try to download this M/soft update and see it it helps - When you do any reinstall you can miss out on some M/soft updates that were part of the scheduled downloads - This is one of the things to remember when reinstalling - Go back to M/soft updates and check that ALL required updates are installed -
Then go to Control Panel > System > Hardware >Device Manager and check all the rest -
The first update was only for kmixer.sys -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 25 March 2010 - 12:12 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

Video card drivers updated, and everything else.

#4 Persian Pride

Persian Pride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the fast reply!
The update is only for SP2, but I have SP3. What should I do?
And also, my graphics card (i believe) doesn't make any more updates

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

ATI Radeon Drivers 9000 they are from 2006.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:48 AM

We don't know much about your system yet. If you provide details, we can help check to see what, if any, updates you might need. No solid details generally = no solid solution.

What is your current antivirus and malware situation? McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, ZoneAlarm, etc. Anything running real time protection and scanning?

When you installed your video components, did you install the Catalyst Control Center (it will show up as a process in Task Manager).

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

For audio information, expand the Components, click Sound Device, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

If you are using IDE drives, use Device Manager to verify the transfer mode of the IDE channels is set to something like DMA if available (depends on your hardware) and not the slower PIO mode.

PIO is the slowest, DMA is the fastest.

This is easy to check and generally easy to fix and the mode would not have changed by itself, so if it has changed to PIO, change it to DMA and then figure out why it changed and fix it.

To launch the Device Manger console, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Expand the IDE/ATA controller section to see your IDE channels. Right click each, choose Properties, and for each channel that has an Advanced Settings tab, determine the Transfer Mode. There are usually 4 channels to check in a desktop, maybe fewer for laptops.

The fastest selection will be some DMA selection (usually: DMA if available). If it is PIO, change it to the best DMA available.

If you are not sure about what you see post back for help and advice.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Persian Pride

Persian Pride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

cryptodan,
I don't believe that is for my video card which is a Mobility Radeon 9000.

joseibarra,
I don't think I do have a catalyst installed. Whats the process called?
My current virus protection I have is Avast! (but viruses aren't the problem I'm positive, and before I got avast I still had the problems).

Here is what I got from msinfo:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Inspiron 600m
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1798 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A17, 6/29/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

VIDEO INFO:

Name MOBILITY RADEON 9000
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C66&SUBSYS_011E1028&REV_02\4&1BFA44D4&0&0008
Adapter Type ATI MOBILITY/RADEON 9000 AGP (0x4C66), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6587
INF File oem4.inf (ati2mtag_M9 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xEFFFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF
Memory Address 0xFCFF0000-0xFCFFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 11
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6587, 1.34 MB (1,406,464 bytes), 3/20/2010 2:11 AM)

AUDIO INFO:

Name SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Manufacturer SigmaTel
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_011E1028&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FD
I/O Port 0x0000B800-0x0000B8FF
I/O Port 0x0000BC40-0x0000BC7F
Memory Address 0xF4FFF800-0xF4FFF9FF
Memory Address 0xF4FFF400-0xF4FFF4FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 5
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\stac97.sys (5.10.3952, 258.24 KB (264,440 bytes), 3/20/2010 2:02 AM)

The device manager advanced settings for what you told me t o check were already set as "DMA if available", so thats good.

Thanks,
SK

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

Dell has an update from 12/05/2005 for your video card.

#9 Persian Pride

Persian Pride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Dell has an update from 12/05/2005 for your video card.

Can you please send me a link by any chance?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Drivers for a Dell Inspiron 600M

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

That looks pretty good and you answered a lot of questions in a short time.

Sometime antivirus applications can interfere with smooth sailing - a general question.

I don't have that video device, but I think (purely rumor) the CCC shows up in Task Manager as CCC or catalyst somthing or another and sometimes it is a memory/CPU hog so you can disable it, then see how things go - if you don't know what it is and never use it, why load it.

There is indeed a new video driver for your system.

If you look at your info it says you have driver version:

Driver Version 6.14.10.6587

If you go to Dells WWW page, and enter some info, it will take you to this page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

The latest driver is:

8.20-051110a1-028793C, A10

I would start with getting the latest video driver, since yours is old. Needing to update drivers is common after reinstalling XP and may have happened with your old configuration sometime in the past.

There are instructions to follow, and when you get done and reboot, you should see the new driver version, then see how things look after that.

You can also check driver versions in Device Manger, Display adapters (but I still wanted to see your other important stuff too :thumbsup:).

Your audio driver is current according to that Dell WWW page and DMA is indeed a good thing. I am on a PIO/DMA kick this week for some reason...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 Persian Pride

Persian Pride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

I tried installing the new driver but whatever I do, when I check the driver version it does say 8.2, BUT when I open Driver Details, every subfile says 6.14.

Can you please instruct me on how to install this new driver?

Thank you so much,
SK

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

Do you see the new version information in msinfo32/video and also Device Manager, Display adapters after rebooting? They may have not updated every single file in the driver pack. A few of the individual file details in my poor old system do not match the "main" driver version either but I don't have your display adapter.

Is your situation improved after installing, rebooting?

#14 Persian Pride

Persian Pride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

It doesn't show up as updated. I tried a series of methods of installing the driver, none of which seem to change the msinfo result.

Also when I tried the method of Update Driver and selecting the folder (directory) where the driver is located, it said it can't find anything newer than the one I have.

When i click properties on my video card, it says 8.2, but when i click details, all the subfiles say 6.14.

Ideas please?

Thanks,
SK

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I've always thought (possibly erroneously) that version 6.14 indicates files designed for XP, as opposed to a different version of Windows. I've also thought that the numbers following the 6.14 indicate the actual version number which might be assigned by the developer.

I just tried verifying my assumptions and I can't get a handle on it.

Are there any other numbers indicated on your file version data?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users