Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Movie Maker crashes when I add files from my camera.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paranoid70

paranoid70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

I downloaded Windows Live Movie Maker a few weeks back. My PC has Win 7. When I try to add files from a camera or sub-directory (either .avi or .mov), the program stops working. I get the following error: Windows Live Movie Maker has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly....

The .avi and .mov files play fine with Media Player. Also, if I download the file to my daughter's PC (w/ Vista), open the file in movie maker, and save it as a .wmv file, I can then edit it in Windows Live. However, I think I 'should' be able to just directly add the files to my PC from the camera.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

weird. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with that, especially on Windows 7. As far as I know, you can't just add a video unless there is a locally stored copy. My instinct is that there are probably permissions issues that will prevent that from working, but I couldn't say for sure. If I had to guess, when you try to open it in Movie Maker, Movie maker is probably trying to change the metadata associated with the video. For instance, every file on a Window's system has a 'date accessed field' field. It may be trying to change that date on a device (the camera) which it does not have permission to do, and that may be causing the crash. It works when you load it onto your daughter's computer because then the system has permission to make changes to files.

When you say sub-directory, sub-directory of what?

#3 paranoid70

paranoid70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

When I say sub-directory, I mean files that were copied from my camera and pasted onto the computer's hard-drive. That is, the .avi and .mov files crash Windows Live whether I try to open them directly from the camera, or from the hard-drive.

Also, I double checked with my daughter's PC last night. Actually one of the .mov files wouldn't load into her Movie Maker (for Vista) program either. The Vista program indicated some Codec issues (I don't remember the details right now). However, the Windows Live Movie Maker just completely crashes. Thus, I thought it was an issue with the Windows Live software. However, I guess it could be 'Codec' issues that cause it to crash. I think I need to do some research on the whole Codec thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users