Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother Board Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

This is a:
Dell Desktop w/ Intel P 4, 512mb and Agp Graphics card.

Symptom:The Computer does not turn on or bring up anything on the screen.
I think the MotherBoard has gone bad and the reason I say that is because I have tried the following Techniques:

1)Turned on with button, Motherboard does not turn on.
2)I took out RAM stick there is NO Beeping code.
3) When I plug power to cpu it automatically spins the fans.
4)No control over power even if I try a screw in the power port to shut it off that way.

What do you guys think, any other tips before I conclude that it was the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

What is the general condition of the capacitors on this board?

In case I lost you here, capacitors are those round canister looking things located around the motherboard. They are also used for filtering in power supplies.

These store a charge like a battery does and are also used as filters to remove the ripples out of the current's sine-wave.

Over time these can leak, which is noticeable by inspecting the silver top of the capacitors body, if you see a black looking goo on the tops of any of the large capacitors, this capacitor is failing.

Some people who have basic electronics knowledge have been known to re-cap a motherboard, restoring it back to general useable health.

Also check the motherboard for evidence of over-heated parts or burn marks.

I am not sure what you mean by 4)No control over power even if I try a screw in the power port to shut it off that way. What do you mean by a screw?

You may also have a problem with the +5 Volt rail of your PSU, a +5 volt voltage regulator may have gone bad in your PSU.

Using a multimeter and testing the red wires from the PSU should show at least a 5 volt reading on the multitester.

Make sure the ATX power port is plugged all the way into the motherboard's socket.

Make sure your power/reset/sleep switch on the tower's front panel is not faulty, as this to can cause issues with a motherboard not powering up correctly.

Trouble shooting can be frustrating task, but if you look for and try what I suggested above you might bring this board back to life.

Good luck and please let us know if this has helped you in any way.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

What I meant about the turning it on with a screw driver in line 4.
You now how you can turn on the computer by touching the PWR pins together with a screwdriver, on the motherboard were the pwr switch goes to. :trumpet:

1)Capacitors are GOOD, they are clean no marks and they do not look like they popped.

2)ATX Power-supply is Good. I see the light on MotherBoard Come up. I also checked Motherboard with other ATX Power-supply. MotherBoard Does Not turn ON.

3) What I did from last post is: Cleaned all Components I checked the Volts On the C-mos battery and I replaced it because Volts were way below 2V.
I got the motherboard to finally beep, because it was missing RAM.

Here is a PUZZLE I can't figure out maybe you can. :thumbsup: :flowers:

1)Sometimes The Motherboard turns on computer with me connecting the ATX plug to the MotherBoard Port.
Sometimes it does not.

2)It will not turn on with switch or screwdriver.

This Leads me to believe that the switch is bad, but then how come it wont let me turn it on with a screwdriver in the PWR port on the MotherBoard.

Hmmm, I just can't figure those 2 things out, but I bet there a source of a problem.

I will keep this posted until I fixed it. Thank-you for your help

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Ok I understand now what you mean by using a screwdriver to short the pins that normally go to the power-on switch on the tower.

If replacing the switch does not correct this problem, you may have a relay inside the PSU that has dirty contacts making an intermittent connection.

Please use extreme caution while servicing the power supplie's components as there can be potentual for a severe electric shock from those large electrolytic capacitors.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

I found the Problem:

The culprit was the CPU after all. After buying a Power Unit it turned on w/ out a glich.

I fought it was the motherboard because I saw the power light on the motherboard turn on. The light that says it's getting power from Mother Board.

However the Power Unit was faulty and was not suppling the correct Voltages to power up the comp.

It was a challenging task but I liked it.

Well thanks for helping me out. I learned a lot. Most importantly I learned to think clearly and use common sense.

God-bless. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users